Advice for a beginner

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kgeezy20, Aug 20, 2015.

1. kgeezy20

kgeezy20 Active Member Maple Society

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, and to Japanese Maples. I was recently bitten by the JM bug, and ever since then I have been learning all I could about them before deciding on which one(s) to purchase.

I feel like I now know enough to get one, or several, but I have a few more questions I am hoping someone can answer. Also, I am in East Tennessee (zone 6b/7a).

So Japanese Maples are hardly cheap, and I am torn on whether or not to save up and buy some larger specimens, or do what I've seen several people on this forum do, and buy a lot of small, or young, trees? I guess a lot of it depends on personal preference, but I am looking forward to hearing everyone's input. Thanks!

Kyle

2. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

My friend just adores her Japanese maples which are bought young and small and grown in pots. They are a delight. I buy a lot at about 3 feet high, but when I see a beauty more mature I find I can't resist :)

3. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

Kyle,

Good to see you over here at UBC. I'm with Sam. I try to buy a few smaller trees and grow them in pots until they reach a size that I am ready to put them in the garden. I have purchased a few larger trees (4'-7') if the deal was good or it was something I had to have in the landscape.

4. TheScarletPrince

TheScarletPrince Member

Always best to have plenty of experience. I am growing other plants before I venture onto anything "expensive" and more difficult. I'd rather lose some easy to grow flowers, of which I have tons of seeds, or trees I already own and get some really good experience before I take it to the next level. I wouldn't mind getting some JM but they are indeed expensive, too expensive for me to lose. :)

And if I learned anything from Botany, it is that you will lose a lot of plants in your process of learning and becoming better at maintaining them! I don't want to kill/lose anything special! :)

5. patdero1

patdero1 Active Member Maple Society

Growing in containers is harder then just planting them in the ground. Containers dry out and get too cold in the winter in some zones. Japanese maples seem to be pretty easy tree to grow in the ground.
    Pat

6. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

I also am more inclined to plant small trees in the ground. Since it is a challenge where I live to figure out the best light exposure for each different Japanese Maple, that way I can move the very small trees fairly easily. Guess it would be easier in pots, but there are a lot more questions about potting mix, cold protection, drainage etc that I don't want to deal with.

So far out of about 12 small (under 1 foot) trees, I have had 2 die,"Orange Dream" and "Mr. Sun". The little trees I bought were $10 at a nearby nursery. I don't imagine they are available everywhere, though. I have enjoyed the small trees. It has been an educational 2 years with them. My larger trees 2-4 feet have also done pretty well. Have lost a "Sango Kaku", "Mirte", over the winter last year. I have not ordered trees to be sent and that would be more expensive, so I guess so far my hobby/addiction hasn't cost a lot! Anyway the enjoyment has been worth it..

7. kgeezy20

kgeezy20 Active Member Maple Society

Does anyone have a recommendation for where to purchase small trees specifically?

8. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

One gallon trees are the most readily available and I would say anybody who deals with maples would have them. I have a few places that I like:

Mr.Maple.com
    Topiary-gardens.com
    Eastfork Nursery eBay (they also have a website)
    Mapletopia eBay

9. marymyers

marymyers Active Member Maple Society

I have had good luck with an E-bay seller (ACER1987). There trees are about 10-12 dollars for two year trees. I only buy 2 year, not 1 year trees. I have had very good results with planting them out shortly after they arrive. Or some, I pot up to a gallon and plant later. They have a lot of variety for (I think) a good price. JM's are really hardy trees, much hardier than a lot of plants. Good luck.

10. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

Acer1987 has sent some very nice small plants to me as well. I ordered one tree from eBay seller "bonzaibob" and it was not a great looking tree and is the worst grafted tree I have. I think the tree will be fine in the end but I probably will not buy from that seller again.