I just don't get it.

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Fred Gardener, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Fred Gardener

Fred Gardener New Member

Hi folks,

I ordered some Japanese Maples last week. They arrived today, (Not well packed, but that's another story.)

One of the cultivars I was expecting was Palmatum Atropurpurem Garnet and I was looking forward to planting this in a nice container I have.

I was fully aware, that the illustration in the catalogue was a mature specimen. Which was fine, as I am the patient sort and I didn't expect my plant to look anything like the illustration. However the plant I received was plain old Acer Palmatum Atropurpurem, which I know is quite a tall tree, something I don't have room for.

Still, does anyone know if I can grow this in a container, without stunting it (I don't like Bonsai) And without it becoming sickly and leggy. (If I can't I shall hopefully give it away.)

I do like Acer trees, but my situation is one that suits the low growing, and/or shrubby varieties.

Can anyone advise please?

My thanks in anticipation

Fred.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

With all kinds you will have to periodically take them out of the pot and shave off the outer layer of soil (and roots), replace it with fresh medium. Or do something otherwise to compensate for the decomposition and settling of the organic component of the potting soil, the filling of the container with roots - in the ground the trees can just keep growing outward, into new ground. This periodic trimming of the roots also has a dwarfing effect on the top, which makes it possible to keep it in the container longer (with fully maintained bonsai both the roots and the tops are trimmed, the soil replaced every year).

3. Fred Gardener

Fred Gardener New Member

Thank you Ron.

I don't see that as a major problem. I think I shall manage to keep on top of an annual trim. (I wish I could go that long without a haircut!)
    My container won't go to waste, and I shall look forward to seeing it grow. If I am spared that long, that is.
    Thanks again.
    Just the ticket.

FG

4. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi Fred,

I just want to add a small comment about the cultivars that you listed above. I believe your input said: Palmatum Atropurpurem Garnet. I think Atropurpureum and Garnet are two different cultivar under the same palmatum species thus the seller may get confused and sent you one instead of the other. These two are totally different type of leaf- one is dissectum (Garnet) while the other is palmate type.

5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Right, and here we can find A. p. 'atropurpureum' that are from cuttings and they are cheper than A. p. 'Garnet' which are always grafted so I'd contact the provider if I were you. I had a bad surprise one day with a mail order and it took me a lot of messages to have a compensation so now I take several photos when unpacking an order, just in case...

As for the top of a potted tree, if you don't trim the branches, the buds close to the tree won't get enough light won't develop and the smaller twigs inside will dry out, so after a while they will become quite leggy. Trimming the longest shoots will help keep it more dense, which is usually a better sight for a potted tree.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Acer palmatum f. atropurpureum is used to cover all Japanese maples with purple leaves. Technically A. palmatum 'Atropurpureum' should refer to a specific cultivar - and there is an old, superior clone still in production in Europe under the name. But otherwise in general practice the cultivar name has been applied to any and all purple Japanese maples with purple leaves of normal shape, not otherwise differentiated by other cultivar names ('Bloodgood' etc.).