Moving with Trees

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maplesandpaws, Sep 1, 2015.

1. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

After a year or two of uncertainty, it is now definite that we are moving this fall - to Huntsville, Alabama. I'm looking forward to a slightly more moderate climate more conducive to gardening, but the getting there will be a challenge.

Part of that challenge is the logistical nightmare of taking many of my plants with me, from small 6" pots all the way to 8ft tall trees. I haven't actually sat down and counted, but I estimate there will be roughly 5 dozen pots in all. So, for those of you that have moved and taken their plants along (it's roughly a 12 hour drive, we are moving ourselves, and are hoping to do it in one shot), any advice or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. I am open to any and all suggestions.

2. patdero1

patdero1 Active Member Maple Society

Get a bigger truck!
    Good luck!

3. seventrees

seventrees Active Member

Understand your pain. Fortunately I have not had to relocate with my many many potted Japanese maples. Of course there is a silver lining to be had. You will be within three hours drive from a couple of great Japanese maple nurseries. Maple Ridge in Decatur, Ga. and Millstone Japanese Maples in Dadeville, Al. Also understand there is another one somewhere in central Ga. but have not been to that one yet.

Regarding your move, two drives, one flight.

4. maplesandpaws

I'm looking forward to being closer to maple goodness :) as things are pretty sparse out here. It'll work out, I'll just be stressed until they're all off the truck and (hopefully) damage free.

5. TheScarletPrince

TheScarletPrince Member

You can always try to ship them through some special service, properly packed of course.

6. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I think moving in the fall will help. I would put the trees on the truck last. That way they are first off and you will have access when necessary. Tie with natural twine to reduce the canopy size and as an extra measure of protection use burlap to wrap around the canopy. Load the larger trees first and secure smaller pots in the larger pots or on top of the larger pots whete they come togethet, to save space.

Be sure to give them plenty of water to keep them from drying out. You may want to consider using the gel pods for the trip as a measure against drying out. Use straps to keep the load from shifting. Once at the destination, water when placed in bright shade and keep in bright shade for a few days to get everything acclaimed to the new environment and sunshine.

I have never had to move since I started collecting, but have often thought about what I would do if or when the time comes.

7. maplesandpaws

Thanks for the advice JT, that's pretty much the direction I was headed with everything. I've thought I've possibly boxing up some of the smaller plants (my bonsai, and the 1-2g, maybe even some of the 3g, sized pots) as if they were going to be shipped. Hopefully this would minimize possible damage and loss of soil. For the large pots, with regards to the soil shaking out of the pot, I thought of getting the large rolls of plastic wrap (kinda like shrink wrap) and wrapping the pots - after the final watering and before loading onto the truck. Thoughts on that?? Mr. Shep suggested duct taping pots together - ie, the larger ones - to help minimize movement and shifting; straps would work just as well.

The biggest challenges are going to be my large Red Dragon and my 8ft Shinju... thoughts on that? lol

8. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I think using the industrial shrink-wrap, the stuff that sticks to itself when wrapped tightly, is a great idea. Its the same stuff they use to wrap shipping pallets. I have some that is 6" rolls and have used it to wrap my bonsai, wrapping it around the pot to keep the soil from falling out while being transported. So that should work great for smaller pots.

In addition to what was said above, maybe consider placing larger pots on to pallets. The pallets could be secured to the truck bed and the pots could be strapped down to the pallets. For trees in ceramic pots, wrap the nice ceramic pots in a foam wrap or use the foam board insulation cut into pieces to go between rows of pots to keep them from cracking

The 8' tree could have the pot wrapped and the tree may need to be laid down. Wrapping the pot should keep the soil in and a wedge should be placed on both sides of the pot to keep it from rolling.

9. maplesandpaws

That's a great idea with the pallets, I'll have to (try to) remember that one. Thankfully I don't have many - in the scheme of things - ceramic pots with plants in them. I was planning to use bubble wrap around the pot before putting it into the box, and then peanuts or crumpled newspaper to fill the remainder (and tie or tape the pot to the bottom of the box).

Hmmmm, I may have to consider that, laying the Shinju down. I had planned to prune it back just enough to fit it in the truck, but depending on how we end up moving (pod, rent a 26' rig, etc), that may or may not work. My big Red Dragon - I want to say it's a 15 or 20g pot; it's ~2.5' wide and I think more than 20" deep - could be a good one to put up against one side of the pot (anchored of course) to keep it from rolling...

These are great suggestions, thank you! If you have/think of anything more, please feel free to mention them! The more options and info I have, the better. :)