Repotting Help For A Newbie

Discussion in 'Maples' started by intel, Jul 3, 2015.

1. intel

intel Member

Hi.....my first post here :)

I just brought a couple of Acers and being a newbie need some help please,
    the two trees are Red Filigree Lace & Mikawa yatsubusa, both are small
    (about 6 inch's tall) and are in 70mm pots.

I would like to repot them into a bigger pot, my question is should I go for
    the next size up (about 90mm) or should I be re-potting into a much large pot?

Also I was thinking of using a mixture of Ericaceous Compost and John Innes no2
    or should I be using John Innes no3?

Thanks

2. patdero1

patdero1 Active Member Maple Society

Don't go to big. You can step it up a size or two. As far as mix I use 60/20/20,
    Pine bark mulch/perlite/peat moss.
    Pat

3. intel

intel Member

Thanks for the reply...has it got to be Pine or is wood chip be ok?, they don't seem to sell small quantity's of the
    pine here in the UK

Also could I use vermiculite rather then the Perlite as I already have a small bag in stock?

4. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Wood chip not so good, it tends to break down much quicker than pine bark. I don't like vermiculite either, holds too much water, but a very small amount added would not cause a problem. Basically standard potting mixes are not free draining enough and you need to add something to improve the drainage. Course grit will work if you have that to hand. From what is typically to hand for the UK gardener, something like 50% multi-purpose, 25% John Innes (no.2 or 3), 25% course grit works well enough in small pots. For bigger pots you will need some lighter ingredients like perlite and bark.

125mm or even 150mm would be a good size pot to move up to.

Hope that helps and welcome to the forum

5. patdero1

patdero1 Active Member Maple Society

You want the pine bark mulch for the acid value.
    Good luck

6. intel

intel Member

Does this help to bring out the true rich colour of the leaves?

7. maf

Acid/ericaceous medium not necessary. Strongly alkaline is to be avoided but neutral to very slightly alkaline is fine, as is slightly acid.

8. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

If you want to use a large pot for display purposes but need a smaller pot for the size of the tree I recently made a planter and used a pot within a pot. The Mikawa Yatsubusa seems to be doing very well and I was able to use the larger pot with some other plants inside for display.

9. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

That's a very good suggestion in my opinion: the problem with planting different species in the same pot is that they often have different growth patterns and cultivation requirements, and some have roots that can invade the pot, take most of the nutrients, and "choke" the main tree. By doing what 'bub72ck' suggests, you're on the safe side.

I would also check the roots at the base of the pot containing the Acer to make sure they don't come out of the draining hole(s) and block them after leaf fall, when it's usually much rainier.

10. intel

intel Member

Well I took the plunge and re potted both using a 45 45 10 mixture of Orchid Pine Bark
    John Innes no3 and Perlite then topped dressed both with the orchid pine bark.

Also took the advice of bub72ck & Alaink and planted both within another pot, they look great plus you get the added advantage that that the pot is now heavy with the pebbles and shouldn't get blown over in a strong wind.

Attached Files:

11. maf

Looking good!