Help ID which hime maple is this?.

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Atapi, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi, I bought this tree two yrs ago and found out it had a wrong tag on it. The tag's name is 'Kagari Nishiki' but when I look it up 'Kagari Nishiki' is a variegated type while this tree is not. So I started to observe its growth and so far the leaves in the Spring looks like the 'hime' family. Pic#1 is taken in April, then June. The tree I got is not come as a dwarf mound type but it was already about 3 ft tall.
    The leaf color from last falls didn't turn out nicely due to some cold front that we got. The falls pic showed some red/orange mixed with summer green then the leaves started to fall so it was hard to tell the true falls color, unfortunately.

I searched through our forum as well as other known JM nurseries and begin to eliminate from the 'hime' family of leaves size/type and narrow it down to either of these: Murasaki Kiyohime or Komanchi hime or Kiyohime. I also compared its leaf with the one I have, 'Shishio hime', and the leaf size of this unknown tree is almost half of the 'Shishio hime' (pic incl.).

Thus if you have some 'hime' trees, could you please help me to id this one or share what you think?. I can provide a few more photos if needed i.e. close-up one.
    It is such a beautiful tree this year so far. I keep it away from the full afternoon sun and the leaves stay with a light green color so hopefully I can see its real falls color in November this year.
    Thank you so much, steven.

Attached Files:

2. Darren Dangerdeeds

Darren Dangerdeeds New Member

I bought a tree online that was supposed to be Aoba Jo. It looks very similar to your first photo. I was thinking mine might actually be Murasaki hime.....but its just a guess.

3. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi, from browsing J.D Vertrees, he said the Kiyohime and the Komachi are quite similar with a smaller leaf (3-4cm) than the Murasaki Kiyohime is about 4-5cm. BTW, I may missed other cultivars in this hime that may be its name so please feel free to comment.
    I am adding a few more close-up pics if you can help me to id it. Thanks again.

Attached Files: