Want to thank Whis4ey

Discussion in 'Maples' started by marymyers, Jul 11, 2015.

1. marymyers

marymyers Active Member Maple Society

On a recent discussion on witch's brooms and there problems, Whis4ey recommended using a micoroyza fungi to help the root development. I took his advice and added this to my brooms. I just had to dig up a couple of these plants and I can't believe the network of white roots, after just 6 weeks.

My question, would this be beneficial to add to all my maples? It is a bit expensive, but my maples are my babies, and what won't we do for our babies?

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

potentially very beneficial. I use mycorrhizae for all maples in pots and to help them get started in the ground, it's made a big difference since I started doing it.

And it took me a really long time to learn to spell it! :)

3. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

Which brand did you use? Very curious--

4. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

5. marymyers

I am using Great White found on Amazon. You only a small amount, so I can probably do all my trees with one jar.

6. maplesmagpie

7. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

I've been using the Myke brand for a few years now, in all my newly potted/planted maples, conifers and even a few other shrubs/trees as well as my bonsai. I do find it helps, and in our super harsh climate, the more help the better. I need to research a few other brands and see how they compare in reviews and price, however I'll stick with the Myke for locally bought trees - especially large/$$ ones - since it carries a 5 year warranty when bought at the time of the plant.

8. emery

I've used Rootgrow also, but I did find a German brand that was also effective and less expensive. Probably makes sense to use something produced on your local continent. :)

Worth noting that there are two families (roughly speaking) of symbiotic mycorrhizae: endo and ecto. Maples need endo, but not all trees do. Birch is ecto IIRC.

9. maplesmagpie

10. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

11. marymyers

The product I use is mixed in water and a small amount is poured over the plant. It is dual endo and ecto. It also is great for tomatoes.

12. emery

I think the injection of mycorrhizae to established roots is controversial, in part because of the difficulty of getting the spores to the roots (without digging the whole thing up) and in part because in theory an established plant will already have the beneficial fungi growing symbiotically. I've read that watering doesn't get the spores there alive, but haven't chased down the reference.

But there has been work done at Kew and elsewhere to renew mycorrhizae around established roots, usually coupled with soil decompaction, which would be the reason the fungi is not already thriving (soil compaction I mean). This is called "vertical mulching" and is done with compressed air.

Here's what they did at Kew:

http://www.dendrology.org/site/images/web4events/pdf/Tree%20info%20IDS_08_Decompaction_at_Kew.pdf

Another (very similar) article from the forestry commision:

http://www.forestryjournal.co.uk/newsitefiles/eAweb2009/Iss27Kew.pdf

Compressed air approaches must be used with care though, see Kosola, K, B. A. A. Workmaster, J. S. Busse and J. H. Gillman. 2007. Sampling damage to tree fine roots: Comparing air excavation and hydropneumatic elutriation. 2007. HortScience 42(3): 728-731.

Air spade, I think I gotta get one of these! :) I do own a compressor, so... But clearly to proceed with caution...

https://www.treecarescience.com/treecare-products/air-spade/

This is a generally useful link discussing tree establishment and soil conditions, especially in urban environments.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/Trees-people-and-the-buit-environment_Hirons.pdf/$FILE/Trees-people-and-the-buit-environment_Hirons.pdf

-E

P.S. JT good to see you back here, hope your health is OK and that's not why we haven't seen you. Your presence has been missed on the forum!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  13. maplesmagpie

Thank you for all the detailed information, emery. The trees I'd like to treat are all very small, most of them new this year and potted.

14. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the great info about using this mycorrhizae. I have a follow up question about what time frame to apply it?. Can it be any time when we want to enhance the root system or should it be in Spring or late falls?.
    Thanks again.

15. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thanks Emery! I would have never guessed that I would be missed. I very much appreciate your warm welcome and kind words. Thank you!

16. TheScarletPrince

TheScarletPrince Member

17. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

18. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

I am not sure that this product needs to be used on a plant more than once????