Japanese Red Bloodgood some wilting leaves.

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Jayb52, May 30, 2008.

1. Jayb52

Jayb52 Member

I have 2 of these trees i bought form Lowesin the fall. One of them has aswome foliage and color all the leaves are full and red, the other has smaller leaves in comparison but what worries me is that some of them are turning wilty and crunchy. I have been reading some of the posts in this forum which have been very informative. so far i have figured i will cut back the watering and check for fungus.

Is there anything else i could look for?
    Jay

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

The exposure, like warm drying winds and too much sunlight. In pots or in the ground ? Recent transplanting could have an effect. Hot sun on a dark pot can be bad. They seem to like cool moist roots with good drainage.

3. Jayb52

Jayb52 Member

Thanks
    It has been in the ground since last fall. Bloomed in the spring fine. My yard gets sun from late afternoon til evening. The base has mulch to maintain the moisture from what i understand too muck moisture is also bad. It is in a gully in the yard maybe its too wet.. Less water.

4. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

welcome, yes too wet could be the problem. Planted at the top of the gully would be better.

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  5. Jayb52

Jayb52 Member

I took leave samples to 2 nurseries in the area, one said too much water the other too little. The leaves some just went total crucnchy others have a white patch on the outer edges. Im going to try and do a lesser watering schedule. 1 time a week for 20 minutes Hopefully it will perk up. I know lowes will take a return for up to a year, but that isnt my goal i hate loosing trees.
    Jay

6. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

If it is in a gully and getting too much water maybe you shouldn't water it at all?

7. Jayb52

Jayb52 Member

I took some pics that i will post later but as i inspected the leaves more closely, i see there are spots on the leaves that turn white the they turn into holes then the leave crumples. Almost looks like it is burning out.

8. JoeMaple85

JoeMaple85 Active Member

Hmm, I'm having the same "white spots that turn into holes" on my emperor 1, its not on all of the leaves, but a select few... i wonder if its the same thing.

Johnny

9. Jayb52

Jayb52 Member

Mine isnt all of the leaves either. Ill try and get the pics up this evening. We have a second child arriving into the world sometime tomorrow, so things are a bit hectic in my world at present.
    Jay

10. Jayb52

Jayb52 Member

I have attached two pics of the tree. It appears that new growth has been stunted.

Thanks for your help
    Jay

Attached Files:

11. Jayb52

Jayb52 Member

Anybody see the pics?

12. Dan

Dan Member

13. whis4ey

It does NOT look like verticillium to me

14. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

i agree with whis4ey,for me the leaves are "burned,"or for hailstone,or for sun....

15. Jayb52

Jayb52 Member

Is there hope? Or will it just run its course? Could it be wind?

16. whis4ey

Your tree will be fine :)

17. Jayb52

Jayb52 Member

Is there anything i can do to help promote new growth?

18. Dan

Dan Member

Thank you whis4ey and alex66, then are the crunchy and wilty leaves on my acers also no verticillium?! I feared that my garden was infected, but when it ist not, all is good. Thank you.

Excuse me Jayb52 when I give the wrong answer. I have the same symptomes on my two acers (see the pics) and I feared it is verticillium. I sent the pictures to the nurseryman, I purchased the trees and he answered yesterday evening that it is definitely no verticillium and the trees are fine.

19. Jayb52

Jayb52 Member

Dan did he say why they look like that and if there anything that can be done to help the trees.

20. Dan

Dan Member

Jayb52 he said they look like that because when the plants are not yet become deeple rooted and than come some hot days the plant may have some stress and this are the symtomes. He said, that the plants definitely not ill and that they will do well when season advances. I will belive and wait for. Not to much water but regular, keep the ground under the tree open and loose, no fertilizer and than wait and see.

21. whis4ey

I think your nurseryman is spot on in this case

22. Jayb52

Jayb52 Member

Thank You both. I guess time will tell mine were both planted in the fall, so my fingers are crossed.