Identification: What are these eggs in my soil?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Hayduke, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Hayduke

Hayduke Member

I found a large bunch of hatched eggs in my garden soil just underneath an Italian Cypress. There must have been 2 dozen eggs ranging in size from 1/4 inch to 1 inch. They were in bunches and some sat alone. All were nearly completly covered in soil. They have a rubbery feel to them. I am very curious to find out what they are and if i should be worried. Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

These are fungal fruiting bodies.

3. Hayduke

Hayduke Member

Thank you for the quick reply. Any idea as to what fungus it may be? We live in Las Vegas, NV, the garden gets plenty of water and the weather has been nice.

4. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

no need to worry about the fruiting bodies being harmful. Could you take a knife and make a cross-section through one of the fruit bodies, and then take a picture and post it on here? It would help narrow down the identification. I say narrow down because i doubt anyone could get down to species, but we might be able to put it in a class of fungi for you.

5. Illecippo

Illecippo Active Member

maybe Sarchosphaera crassa or similar....

a mushroom.

if you've got in your garden some Cedrus sp. maybe also Sepultaria sumneriana (=Geopora sumneriana)

Nico