Fertilizer for indoor dwarf citrus?

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by laughingabbey, Jul 30, 2009.

1. laughingabbey

laughingabbey Member

Hi Millet/forum folks - I have a question about fertilizer for indoor dwarf citrus (I've read your posts on the best fertilizer being one with 5-1-3 w/trace minerals. I wondered if this Logee's Citrus and Avocado organic fertilizer would be appropriate?

"Organic Citrus Fertilizer
    Fertilize your Logee's container-grown citrus with this excellent organic fertilizer. It contains blood meal, bone meal, kelp meal, fish meal and soft rock phosphate for a 7-3-3 analysis. Fertilize in the spring or summer prior to the flush of new growth. 4 lb box."

http://www.logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=K7358

I have a two year old dwarf citrus that has been having leaf drop issues, which after reading some old threads here I'm pretty sure is due to low humidity and under watering. I think it also needs some fertilizer since I haven't fertilized since last summer (and then I did it with outdoor citrus fertilizer in the form of a stake). If this Logee's Citrus isn't the right fit, can you suggest one that is? Thanks so much!

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

In the long term, I'm sure Logee's fertilizer would be beneficial for your citrus tree, or for that matter, most any plant. However, Logee's use recommendations are wrong for containerized citrus, or even for citrus growing in the ground. Your tree will not be able to initially use any of Logee's organic fertilizer, as organic fertilizers are not in a form that the tree can use. All organic fertilizers, first need to be converted into a usable form, before the tree can use them. This is done by the micro-organism that are hopefully living in the medium your tree is planted in. Citrus are very heavy feeders, requiring a lot of nutrition, especially nitrogen and potassium (the 1st & 3rd numbers in a fertilizer formula). Because citrus require so much nutrition to function properly, and produce a good crop, containerized trees need to be fertilized a MINIMUM of once a month. Twice a month is MUCH BETTER for the tree, and then the tree will grow rapidly during the Spring and Summer months. The only place that I currently am aware of that sells a fertilizer with a 5-1-3 ratio is The Peters Company, with the formula of 25-5-15 W/trace minerals. However, container citrus will also do well using a 30-10-10 W/trace minerals, which is a fertilizer that you should be able to find at most any garden center, or Home Depot. A container citrus tree can live for many years. I know of one that is currently 129 years of age, growing in a Convent in New Jersey. However, note that the average life span of a container citrus tree is just two years. This short life is not due to the tree, but always to the care given by the tree's provider. Your tree is now 2 years old, and is beginning to have trouble. You need to start taking care of your tree, if you want it to live and produce fruit as it should. Fertilize your tree once every two weeks until the end of September, then once a month during the winter. Be ABSOLUTELY sure that the container still has rapid draining, high root zone aeration, and is not root bound. A tree that has a medium that drains rapidly, rarely ever has problems with over watering. When you water apply enough water to the container surface so that 10 percent drains out the bottom. Good luck to you and to this tree. The best. - Millet (1,268-)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009