Any tips to battle the heat?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by bub72ck, Jun 16, 2015.

1. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

For those of you in the east you know how it it has been and will continue to be. All of my maples are showing some signs of stress and scorch with some faring better than others. Anybody have any tips to help reduce the damage as much as possible?

2. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Use an umbrella :)

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Move to Britain, no heat here :-((

4. Cjart

Cjart Well-Known Member

We have been breaking records for June heat here in Boise. I have sun scorching on Yezo nishiki and Oridono nishiki which are sited where they get afternoon sun, so I am not really surprised, but didn't expect it so early. Bought one of those triangular shade "sails" at Costco but haven't put it up yet. Have drip watering on all the trees, but noticed that the drip heads were not close enough to the root ball and the trees were a little dry immediately around the trunks. My trees are mostly young and planted within the last year in the ground so I fixed that. Am thinking it could be a brutal summer! We have been watering daily, but have read elsewhere in the forum that it's not advisable, but I think I have to take our dry climate into the mix.

5. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

I have been watering 3 times per week when it doesn't rain. It's amazing how the trees fare differently. The Bloodgood is in the hottest spot in the yard yet it seems to be doing the best out of all of them. My Shigitatsu Sawa is in pretty heavy shade but seems to be taking a beating. I know it is a fragile cultivar though.