Grafting Japanese Maples - NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Maples' started by sunnyridge, Jun 12, 2015.

1. sunnyridge

sunnyridge New Member

I need help with the timing of grafting of japanese maples I am planning to do in the near future. I purchased some AcerPalmatum rootstocks and scions from a company in CA. They told me that they could not, or would not, ship them to me until November-December time frame. I am located in Western NC and we do get winter here. November-December is far too cold outside for anything to be growing. My question is this: How can you graft JM during the winter? And if you can, how do you care for them until the growing season starts? Inside? is it actually possible to keep the scions in the refrigerator for five to six months, when the weather warms up? They apparently ship the roostocks "semi-bare root"(their phrase), so those rootstock whips are going to need at least a couple of months to get established in a pot prior to grafting. The only way I can see to make this work is to plant the roostocks, put them outside until spring, and then hope the scions keep in the frig until they can be grafted at that time. Are these folks misleading me?

2. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Sounds like a scam to be honest. Scions will keep in the refrigerator for some time, but not sure and doubtful if that will extend to five or six months.

The two main windows for grafting JM's are early spring and summer.

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

What's more I learned in Dick van der Maat's grafting class, it is important for the root stock to be well established in it's pot before grafting on top of it. He says a full year.

5. sunnyridge

sunnyridge New Member

Yes, I think it makes sense that the rootstocks should be well established. I will go ahead and order them and pot them up, let them grow one season. That will give me plenty of time to hunt down scion wood~ thanks for your comment.

6. sunnyridge

sunnyridge New Member

Thanks, these pics are great.