My visit to Mr.Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by bub72ck, Jun 7, 2015.

1. bub72ck

bub72ck Active Member

I made the almost two hour trek down to East Flat Rock, NC to visit Nichols Nursery aka Mr.Maple. If you live close enough to make the drive and have never been, I highly recommend it. I planned to buy some trees and had a budget in place before I left. I had a few trees I wanted to look at but really wanted my eyes to do the deciding and not any preconceived notions of what I might like. I thought I knew Japanese Maples pretty well but this place really overwhelmed me by the time I was done. I first made the stop at the original location of the nursery which is the front yard of Owners Matt and Tim's parents. Mama Maple met me on the front porch and was very nice and accommodating. She invited me to look at the dozens and dozens of fully mature maples in her yard and I only wish I had more time to wander around but I will save that for another trip. A couples minutes later, Tim came by and I followed him on the two minute car ride to the nursery. Tim and Matt both graduated from the same university as me and we actually have some mutual friends. It's amazing how small the world is sometimes. Anyway, there are five greenhouses on the property that have plants for sale. A couple or three more are used to house rootstock, newly grafted trees, and other misc trees. The first green house is full of the 1 gallon trees that are the most popular selling trees. These are the trees that are listed on the website. Plenty of beautiful trees and many that I had never before seen in person. My mind began to really focus on what I wanted but I could already tell it was going to be tough. I wanted to take them all home. The second and third green house were full of the 3 gallon varieties that are also featured on the website. I made a couple of selections out of this stock but I will get to that at the end.

Greenhouses three and four have the 5 gallon and larger trees inside. I was REALLY interested in a Germain's Gyration but I don't have a spot cleared out for it right now as it gets to be a large tree. As I walked through I set my eyes on a Moonfire and was close to buying it but ended up putting it back in favor of some smaller trees.

Greenhouse number five was my last stop and it really blew me away. This was the greenhouse that had all of the "miscellaneous" inventory inside. As I walked in the door Tim told me there were over 400 different cultivars of maples. Some they only had one left and others maybe more. I just had to look through the rows and rows of trees to see what caught my eye but Tim was happy to help pull out a few of his favorites. After I set out a few trees on the table I made my decisions and left with 7 trees.

1 gallon size:

Vic's Broom
    Kurenai Jishi
    Takao
    Saiho
    Felice

3 gallon size:

Orangeola
    Ruby Lace

I've put some photos of all them below except I forgot to snap a photo of the Orangeola. I'll get a pic tomorrow.

Anyway, this was a great trip and I learned a lot. If you have looked at mrmaple.com and considered a tree from them I would recommend. Tim and Matt are great guys and they have a great facility.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    Acerholic and Connor Sullivan like this.