pigments in plants experiment

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by rriixoo, Mar 20, 2011.

1. rriixoo

rriixoo Member

Hello,

I am about to do an experiment with plants and their pigments and, how they change when simulated day-cycles are changed. (I change how much the light shines - lamp light)
    I would like to ask what plant is suitable for this experiment. I know that it would be best done with a deciduous tree or shrub.
    However, I would like to ask you whether you know a plant that does the same thing - changes leaves' color in fall, or under some conditions which can be obtained by changing how much light does the plant get - but not a shrub, not a tree -> a non-woody plant (herb). I know that most of them simply die off.
    Or maybe you could advise me some small shrub that does this.

I hope you understood what I had meant and I am looking forward to your replies.

PS: If you have tried this experiment or consider this experiment would have no results, please tell me.

Richard

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

How long do you have for the experiment (weeks? months? years?), and what intensity light (dayling equivalent, or much weaker?)

3. rriixoo

rriixoo Member

maximum one month, so I would probably use some already grown plant because I dont know any plant that grows so quickly that would be suitable.

the daylight would be 'imitated' by a simple incandescent light bulb, or should I use professional UV lamp (grow light)? Wouldn't an incandescent suffice for the experiment?

4. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

You may need to refine the question as posted. What is the hypothesis you are testing? "...simulated day-cycles are changed. (I change how much the light shines - lamp light)" Is the issue around HOW MUCH light? If so, which wavelengths, lamp light or some other spectrum? Is ths issue HOW LONG the light shines? Are you looking at chlorophyll & the photosynthetis process, or leaf colouration & fall as regulated by phytochromes? There is a previous question on this forum "What do plants do at night?" which touches on a bit of this same subject. It is a very broad topic with a LOT of physiology & biochem involved. Maybe your advisor or teacher could help you to narrow down the hypothesis.

...or maybe I am missing the point. It has happened!