Scale Bug attack on Acer.

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Finezy, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Finezy

Finezy New Member

I have a lovely Acer Palmatum which has fallen victims to scale bugs this year. Within a week the majority of the leaves went brown and by the time is discovered what was the problem it was almost too late. I sprayed it the correct bug killer and with a water jet. I also scraped them all off but it looks like it has had it for this year. Does anyone with experience of his problem think the Acer will survive and come back next year?

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Please post a picture if you can. The scale type insects I have observed on Acers in the UK are non life threatening in my experience so it may be another issue causing the problem.

3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

A cheap recipe that works when you have not too many rather small trees:

1/ remove scales with thumb fingernail

2/
    50 cl alcohol (70°)
    50 cl warm water
    1 table spoon finely ground cinammon

Shake every now and then for 24 hrs.

Spray on the leaves, preferrably in the shade.

4. cgriff

cgriff New Member

just discovered cottony scale on my acer palmatum today. I'll try removing by hand, but would also ask if neem oil is to harsh for this plant?

I've also been thinking about using the formula below to make my own insecticidal soap but am uncertain if this will be effective on Acers / any advice appreciated:

Combine one cup of oil, any variety, such as vegetable, peanut, corn, soybean, etc. with one tablespoon of dishwashing liquid or other pure soap (Dawn, Ivory and Lemon Joy are mentioned on many internet sites). Be sure to avoid any dish washing liquids which contain degreaser, bleach, or those that are for an automatic dishwasher.

Mix two teaspoons of this soap mixture to every cup of warm water and put into a spray bottle. Mix only what is needed for a one-day application. Repeat weekly until vanquished.

Attached Files: