NEW: variegated Mikawa Yatsubusa?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by mapledia, Jun 2, 2015.

1. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

I have seen this recently in an obscure garden in Bellingham, WA and it appears to be a variegated Mikawa Yatsubusa. The person who owns the garden didn't know where the cultivar came from but suggested it was available somewhere in the $100-$200 range and supply is extremely limited. I'm eager to find one if possible, so any added info would be gratefully received.

Attached Files:

2. acerave

acerave Member

Mapledia, You've been missing from the UBC site for some time. It sure looks like an amazingly variegated Mikawa Yatsubusa. Were the branches and leaves like "shingles on a roof"? If so, this is the best new cultivar since Olsen's Frosted Strawberry. The plant looks young. Did the garden owner or grower say it was stable? I wonder if it can be purchased. I think $200 per plant would be a bargain for something this rare. Has anyone else seen this cultivar?

3. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Yes, indeed, the leaves are just like all Mikawa Yatsubusas "like shingles on a roof." It's a gorgeous plant with blush on the new growth. I believe this plant is about 2 years old, but I'm not certain of it's heritage. I'll keep trying to find out more about it.

I have a special attraction to Mikawa Yatsubusa and have always loved this cultivar, but I've never before seen a variegated one, and this a real beauty. So this is amazingly special to me. I'll do my best to try to find one.

4. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Looks like Acer palmatum 'Snow Kitten'

5. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

A.p. 'Snow Kitten' Slow growing great plant. I have been evaluating since 2010.

Attached Files:

6. Schattenfreude

Schattenfreude Active Member

So pretty!! ... but a lousy name :-(

7. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Ed, thanks for IDing this cultivar. I'd never seen one before and thought it was startlingly attractive.

8. GAmaples

GAmaples New Member

During a recent visit to Oregon, it was explained that the original tree was purchased from Larry Stanley of Stanley and Sons Nursery. The variegated Mikawa yatsubusa seedling was originally dubbed Elmer, since the sales transaction took place at pancake restaurant chain in Oregon, Elmer's Pancake House. The purchaser then changed the name to Snow Kitten. Kinda sounds like it was named by an 8 year old girl who decorates her room with rainbows and unicorns, a granddaughter maybe?

But the original tree really is striking!

9. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

GAmaples, thanks for this background information, which I found quite interesting. If the cultivar was originally dubbed Elmer, I wonder if any Elmers exist somewhere. Just a thought. The plant I saw didn't have any identifying tags on it, but Mikawa Yatsubusa is one of my Top Five plants necessary to any garden, so this variation on it really appeals to me.

10. acerave

acerave Member

Since this so called kitten cultivar is a symphony of beautiful colors why not name it "Magnificat"! acerave

11. tsukushigata

tsukushigata Member

Such a lovely tree, how about Yuki yama- Snow on the mountain?

Worldly_Wrangler likes this.
  12. GAmaples

GAmaples New Member

I think that is awesome! I will share Yuki yama- Snow on the mountain, with the growers. There has never been a formal release or introduction of the cultivar, so why not?