Acer palmatum 'Tsukushigata'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by krautz33, Jul 18, 2005.

1. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

Interesting tree, the green bark and the dark chocolate leaves are very appealing. This tree is having a beautiful year.

Attached Files:

2. rkburgess

rkburgess Active Member

Re: tsukushigata

this is my tree early in the spring. It has great spring color that is hard to discribe. The summer color is just as the picture in the first post looks. The picture that looks like it is raining is this spring the other picture is the same tree last year.

Kent

Attached Files:

3. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

Re: tsukushigata

The first picture was taken at the end of May. The second and third picture were taken in April as the tree was first opening. I think the color contrast between the leaves and the bark are really awesome.

Mike

Attached Files:

4. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

A favourite, seed holds the light green colour till fall. The tree is in morning to late afternoon sun and is multiple trunked, about H 7m. {20'} x W 7m. {20'} at about 20 years old. Nice tree to have a bench under. #1 May 27/09. #2 Fall colour Oct.17/07. #3 young growth May 29/09

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  5. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

My young tree this May...

Attached Files:

6. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

I do believe Tsukushigata is underrated (or maybe just difficult to find). I've always enjoyed this cultivar in each of the growing seasons: it seems to hold continuing interest with its elegant leaf color and bright contrasting veins. This photo was taken last autumn, October 15, 2008.

Attached Files:

7. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

mapledia, I think it's both underrated AND hard to find. But it's worth acquiring. At least, mine has been a joy. My husband especially loves the blue-green bark. I liked the chartreuse leaves (Edit: strike that, seeds), but they only lasted about a week last year.

I've only had it for two Springs now and I don't know if I just didn't notice or don't remember seeing what I'm seeing now. The emerging leaf covers were this salmon pink and the whole tree looked very cool. I didn't get a photo that I liked until today and unfortunately the leaves are mature enough that it masks the effect. But I think you can get the idea.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  8. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Winterhaven, I so agree with you. This is an underrated cultivar. Though it may not be incredibly showy, it has an elegance about it and a subtlety that demands attention, but few people have it in their gardens. I especially like the graceful form this tree has naturally, it's lovely colors throughout the growing season, and your husband is right: it's bark is interesting as well. I had one a few years ago that produced purple-black leaves, just amazingly beautiful and a wonderful contrast to all else in the garden. (My new younger plant is as yet unable to produce these very dark hues.)
    mapledia

9. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

Tsukushigata' is by far one of my favorite dark colored japanese maple trees. I have owned a few larger trees. It so happens, I traded one to the person, John Santos, who designed my website, The Tsukushigata planted in my garden is funny since I originally bought in in the winter as an Iijima sunago. When spring came I realized I had gotten a bad deal since now it was an unknow tree but Tsukushigata has very remarkable colors which stand out and when I was standing next to this unknow tree I looked over and saw one of my other Tsukushigata' and then I knew what tree I had. The seed pods are outstanding on the tree, they are an almost unreal irridescent green. I saw the color of that dark brown purple leave with the glowing seed pods and the unkown tree was now identified.
    i have found Tsukushigata' from some of the more higherend growers and to get a good size tree is not cheap. I have some small seedlings i bought when I first started collecting but they do not give me any of the same satisfaction of looking into a Tsukushigata' of full size. I am a little preoccupied with life but in the next week I will post some photos of a few of my Tsukushigata'

10. amazingmaples

here is its great fall color

Attached Files:

11. amazingmaples

the spring color is a nice dark purple

Attached Files:

12. amazingmaples

Here is a Tsukushigata which I have had for a few years that has been in a pot and medium sun

Attached Files:

13. amazingmaples

Here are the fall colors for 2011, this tree is planted in full sun

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  14. maplesandpaws

maplesandpaws Active Member

I am loving this tree so far, the new leaves are the most interesting chocolatey-purple color, and the flowers are adorable too! Can't wait to watch it through the seasons.

Attached Files:

15. Houzi

Houzi Active Member 10 Years

Saw a nice one t'other day still leafless.The bright green bark intrigued me but I wasn't familiar with the name.Been reading here and looking at your photos....am now on my way to pick it up...can't wait:)

16. amazingmaples

this is still one of my favorite trees.

Attached Files:

17. JazzUp

JazzUp Member

Fall color!

Attached Files:

18. 17 Maples

17 Maples Active Member

Jazzup interesting yours in the yellows mine though too much shade now by another palmatum type turns a hot orange-red with distinctive orange leaf center lines - most interesting - planted in straight up fir bark in a pot.

19. JazzUp

JazzUp Member

I'm not quite sure why mine is yellow. Most websites say it's scarlet in the Fall. Mine is planted in a fairly shady spot and it is dark purple in Spring and turns purplish green in the Summer.

20. 17 Maples

17 Maples Active Member

location and soil type ? mine does what yours does in the spring and early summer mine bronzes out due to light conditions and the seeds shed mysteriously.......thanks to stuffed red squirrels.

my suggestion is that bark may not be the best planting medium though drying out the plants even in somewhat specimen size can be moved about easily, with that of course you must find the suitable match for watering, had very long discussions with Vertrees about this since we were both planting in pots using the same methods and he o0nly lived 70 miles to my north......

21. maplesandpaws

My new Tsukushigata courtesy of Conifer Kingdom. I lost my small one this spring, and while browsing their site, came across a deal I could not pass up - half off (what was already a good price for the size of tree) the 5g specimens. The tree is over 5ft tall, and beautiful in my opinion. I need to prune some branches here and there since the growth is quite congested, and I also plan to wire some; since many of the branches are quite upright, I want to give it a broader look. But, I am on the fence as to what to do about the large branch at the base of the trunk - keep it or cut it (not right now)? Suggestions for pruning, etc, would be welcome. :)

Attached Files:

22. JazzUp

JazzUp Member

Orange Peach color in Fall 2013 compared to Yellow in Fall 2012 (pictures a few posts above).

Attached Files:

23. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

My tree has some unusual leaves on a couple branches near the bottom. I'm not sure if this is something that comes with age or if its a virus. Anyway, I think its kind of cool so we bought this tree in the Spring and it held this color pattern throughout the season.

Attached Files:

24. maplesandpaws

Wow, lovely tree! And very interesting with the leaves... I wonder if this will show up next year? Almost reminds me of Manyo no sato, with the two-tone coloration. Keep us posted, I know I for one would love some scion wood if it does (hint, hint) :)

BTW, what's the lovely green one next to it in the driveway picture?

25. maplesmagpie

maplesmagpie Active Member

Those leaves are fascinating!

We added Tsukushigata to our garden this year, to be a sister tree to an Umegae, but to my surprise the Tsukushigata never reddened up. Arrived green, stayed green. We'll see what happens this next summer-- it definitely gets enough sun.