what is the best propagation medium?

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by baffledinbuffalo, Feb 24, 2009.

1. baffledinbuffalo

baffledinbuffalo Member

I want to take hardwood cuttings to propagate an arborvitae, but have heard too many different answers as to which medium should be used. Some say just sand, some mix peat and perlite, vermucilite etc etc. Mix this, mix that, I'm soooo confused.

2. Vera eastern wa

Vera eastern wa Active Member

Well I'll just tell you what I know works. I am a former greenhouse/nursery student (graduated 2006) and what we always used for cuttings of any type was straight moistened perlite. It breaths, stays moist (given moisture is paid attention too) and is sterile. Now in my own home that is the only medium I use most often :)

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Why would you be confused? As in many areas of agriculture there is frequently more than one correct answer. Many people have tried to define, or describe the ideal rooting medium (in which the roots develop) for propagation of cuttings. In general, it has been found that there is no one ideal rooting medium, but several combinations of materials that can provide a good workable medium. More important is that whatever you decide to use, that it is sterile, free of diseases and insects, has a drainable pore space of 40 to 50 percent, that you don't stick the bottom of the cutting into the perched water table that is present in the bottom of every container, that you start with a cutting with good energy reserves, that the proper nutrition, light and other growing conditions are favorable for the cutting from the time it is stuck, and on and on and on. Pure perlite is often used, many also use pure sand, coarse perlite and peat moss, or perlite and ground pine bark, are also frequently used with a 1:1 or 1:1.5 basis by volume wich works well in propagation containers approximately 3-1/2 to 4 inches deep. Take care. Millet - (1,420-)

4. Shotgun Scherling

Shotgun Scherling Member

I'm currently experimenting with rooting juniper cuttings in a 50% perlite / 50% vermiculite medium. I don't know how long it will take, if it works at all, but I'll post the results when I find out!