elephant foot palm

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by JODELL ZEAL, Jun 1, 2007.

1. JODELL ZEAL

JODELL ZEAL Member

have two elephant foot palms thought froze but are sprouting. should I cut the top off? Several shoots are sprouting top to bottom. should I cut bottoms away and let the top regrow? any luck in propogating these sprouts?

2. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

Im not sure what kind of plant you have exactly, but if it is a palm and you cut the top off, youll kill it (also if it is a palm the new sprout means its still alive). Can you psot a pic for everyone?

3. JODELL ZEAL

JODELL ZEAL Member

its an elephant foot palm. but when it frooze, i pulled the top dead leaves off, the bottom got new sprouts of growth up to about 3 inches from the top. I thought I should pull the bottom sprouts and leave those near the top? the top 3 inchs is a dead stick. should I still leave this on the plant. dont know why it would kill it to cut off? thanks

4. Canadianplant

Canadianplant Active Member

you are refering to a baucarnea species, which isnt a palm at all, i believe its concidered an agave., look up baucarnea and see what you find.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Try Beaucarnea ;-)

6. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Pony tail palm has multiple references as a Elephant foot plant. there are a few others that use the same English name. Dioscorea also has Elephant foot.
    To answer the question of cutting the top off of an Beaucarnea (syn.Nolina recurvata)
    I would just let the new growth come in, and trim off the dead stuff.