spruce removal question

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by arnold pertile, Jun 30, 2006.

1. arnold pertile

arnold pertile Member

Hello
    We are selectively removing some spruce ( approx. 60 years old ) from golf course fairways that are now spaced too closely.
    The root systems are shallow ( many at ground level)
    By removing 30% of the stand, and then grinding the stumps, is there any complications that could arise? (root rot etc.)

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

I will have only sporadic access to the internet over the next few weeks, so if you could send any responses to aap@direct.ca , that would be much appreciated. If that isn't appropriate on this forum, please forgive... I am very new here. I will check in with the forum as I am able.
    Arnold

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

By default, it should send you email notifications of replies to the thread.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Complications to the remaining trees should be minimal, have an experienced, qualified crew do the removals, they should use practices to minimoze damage to your fairways and the remaining roots of the trees. To assist the trees after removal consider core aeration and maybe.... deep root fertilizing.