Tree ID: Is there such a thing as a Blackberry tree?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Courtney, May 21, 2006.

1. jdarconte

jdarconte Member

So, I know this is an old post, but it is all I found on the internet when I was searching for blackberry trees. I guess what i have could be a mulberry tree. The tree is about 55 feet high, i only moved here recently, and am guessing the person i bought the house from planted it ages ago. i checked and the tree never had fruit before this year, but I planted blackberry bushes and fig trees, which is why I was thinking it cross polinated and that is why I have fruit this year... and a lot. The berries are smaller than the black berry. They are not as seedie when i eat them, but they taste exactly the same as a blackberry. If this is a blackberry or a mulberry, can some also post what I can use to cross polinate this tree beacuse the fruit is great and I want to ensure the fruit comes in next year as well.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

You'd want another mulberry tree to pollinate it.

3. jdarconte

jdarconte Member

Thanks. I did however find a article on the internet that says it is self pollinating. I attached the article.

http://heartgarden.com.au/description.asp?id=207

I am not claiming ot know what i am talking about, I just found this on the internet after I read this forum and started to research mulberry trees. By the way, I took the berry to a market and it is a mulberrry tree...

thanks...

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

They are variable - some clones (like the one they are selling) are self pollinating; others (probably most) aren't.

5. allaaiz

allaaiz Member

There is such a tree!!! I was sitting on it quite often when I was a little girl growing up in Ukraine in the 60s....

The fruit looked exactly like blackberry and it was sweet and very delicious. It called "shelkovitsa" in Russian.

The reason I joined the forum just to answer this question. I believe there is no blackberry growing on a trees here in US. Only on bushes. Someone wrote that this tree called mullberry here. Maybe. I don't know. But this tree is hugely popular throughout Eastern Europe, particularly in Russia and Ukraine.

I wish someone can explain the difference between the mullberry fruit and blackberry fruit. To me they look absolutely the same, only fruit that I used to eat growing up (from the tree) much much sweeter and juicier.

6. allaaiz

allaaiz Member

7. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

That's a wonderful link, allaaiz.

Thanks.

8. allaaiz

allaaiz Member

Thank You... I enjoyed this article also.