My $10 Improved Meyer Lemon Tree and some questions...

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Shawnatshawn, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Shawnatshawn

Shawnatshawn New Member

I recently purchased a new dwarf tree. I got an amazing deal for it - just $10! But I do have some questions and concerns... My main question is, will this stock grow taller? http://imgur.com/rMWbDr7.jpg or will the new growth only show from the top? See, I am quite new to all of this, but I want to have this Meyer lemon looking as much like a little tree as possible. The stock is only about four inches now and I hope to find out that it might be able to at least double in size.

My other concerns are within the following two pictures - http://i.imgur.com/ehFuWGoh.jpg and http://imgur.com/AbFeklb.jpg - some of the other leaves appear to be kind of bent over and just not so "fresh" looking. Does this happen with the older leaves on this tree?

Last question... When can I expect fruit? After flowering? And what does the baby fruit look like? Thanks to all that read and any that have answers to my questions and concerns! Have a great day everyone!

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The rootstock will not grow any taller. If you prefer a longer main stem, consider removing the lower side branch which could be used to propagate more trees.

The leaves look quite normal. The curly ones likely resulted from growing conditions at the time. Leaves do not become curly as they age.

Fruitlets will form soon after flowering. Here is a picture of some young ones.

3. Shawnatshawn

Shawnatshawn New Member

Thank you for your reply. I may consider propagating after this guy gets a little more used to being in my home and a new pot. I wish the root stock would grow taller though! Those little baby fruits look so pretty.... Looks as though they came from inside the flower? It looks as though I have already got some baby fruit then! let me take a picture and post it, for confirmation. This dwarf tree is amazing...

4. Shawnatshawn

Shawnatshawn New Member

5. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

6. Junglekeeper

It's too early to tell whether a fruit will form from your flower. The stigma and style are still attached to the developing fruitlet in the Wikipedia picture. They're normally shed as the fruit develops.

7. Shawnatshawn

Shawnatshawn New Member

Thank you, this helps. I will just be patient. Wishing I had waiting to repot this plant - but the roots were showing trough the holes in the bottom, of the original pot. I sure hope this little tree likes its new home... We shall know soon! Thanks everyone, now I know what to read up on. I wouldn't have posted this here, but I searched google for hours, not finding exactly what I was looking for. You people helped me achieve better results, much quicker! :) this site is very helpful, thanks to kind people like yourselves.

8. Junglekeeper

You should know that not all flowers will result in fruit being formed and that many of those will be shed before maturation.

9. Shawnatshawn

Shawnatshawn New Member

I was able to understand that it is a bit too early to know what will come of these buds. However, I still wish I hadn't transplanted so soon after it arrived to my home. :/

10. Shawnatshawn

Shawnatshawn New Member

Okay, I hope someone sees this post! So, I repotted my tree and a few hours later, it seems to have leaked some sap from the flowers! Ahhhhhhh!!! I see no bugs, no fungus, have lost none of the buds and since repotting, I have misted it. Is this natural stress defense? It does seem to have slowed down, or stopped... But I am just filled with worry right now :( the sap does appear to have come directly from the buds, the ones which are opened and flowering. Please help someone!! I must know if this is normal... Thank you!

11. Junglekeeper

What you're seeing is nectar in the flower - perfectly normal. Also, it was not wrong to repot the plant if that's what it needed. Relax and enjoy your plant. By the way, there no benefit in misting as its effect is short-lived.

12. Shawnatshawn

Shawnatshawn New Member

Oh thanks! The mist was to clear it of what I now know as nectar haha. Well, I'm just enjoying now - thank you for your help. The Internet can be quite an unforgiving place, hehe.