Acer palmatum 'Edgewood's Golden'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Here are some images of a fairly obscure cultivar, Acer palmatum 'Edgewood's Golden' I have seen it referred to, simply, as Edgewood. It has a medium sized, fine textured, dissected leaf. The wide splay of the leaf seems indicative of this cultivar and lends an airy effect to the foliage. The spring color is bronzy or golden red, up into early summer then gives way to a light green. I believe fall color is golden. Stems are predominantly green but are said to be golden in spring/summer. I need to be more observant. This cultivar is said to have come from the late Richard P. Wolff of Red Maple Nursery in PA.. The top left picture shows a small block of this cultivar showing the spring color in mid- April, to the right of the frame. The next two shots show the summer color, shots taken in June. The fourth frame shows this cultivar in the foreground, notice the leaf splay, made in April. The final shot is of a 3g plant that I obtained from a nursery source a few years back.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2004
    Acerholic likes this.
  2. Elmore

More 'Edgewood's Golden' Images

Here are some pictures of a large 'Edgewood's Golden'. Except for the picture showing the tree red, made in early spring 2004, all other images were made 6-16-04. This tree is a beauty. It is varied in color throughout the different seasons. This is the mother tree to most of the young grafts pictured in the initial thread (see above). My grafts have much larger leaves, a juvenile trait, I imagine. At maturity it has small, fine textured leaves. This specimen has a 6 to 7 inch caliper. Apparently a relatively rare cultivar as far as Japanese Maple cultivars go.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2004
    Acerholic likes this.
  3. Elmore

Acer palmatum 'Edgewood's Golden' fall color

Here are a couple of pics of a 3g 'Edgewood's Golden' displaying a brilliant fall coloration. The other plant pictured with this dissectum is Acer japonicum 'O isami'. Pictures were made in the late afternoon of 11-20-04.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  4. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Elmore,

I acquired an A.P.D. ‘Edgewood’ from Richard Wolff in Nov of 1992. It is listed in his Summer 1993 – Spring 1994 catalog as maple # 126 in his stock. He told me he found the original plant in Edgewood Cemetery on RT1 between his nursery in Media PA and Longwood Gardens. He said that after observing the tree for a few years and not being able to identify the cultivar that he got some cutting and listed it in his stock plants as Edgewood.

I originally planted the tree in a protected area that was mostly shade. The cultivar remained green and rather unimpressive in this location. I redesigned that garden and moved the Edgewood to a pot in the sun and saw a bug difference in the characteristics of the tree. I moved the tree to its current locating in full sun in 1998 and it has remained a favorite of many visitors to the garden since this time.

I am new to this site and will attempt to post some photos of my Edgewood for you to see.

Ed

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Elmore

Thanks Ed. Beautiful cultivar. Fine texture and lots of interest throughout the seasons.

6. NJACER

NJACER Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

My new close up lens has allowed me get some great shots of this cultivar this spring. I was able to capture a light green/yellow tip on the edge of the leaves as they emerge. This is the first season that I have noticed this characteristic.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  7. bamboofish

bamboofish Active Member

Hi Guys,
    having checked out your photos, I have to disagree that this is a new cultivar. Especially when it is said to have been found growing in a cemetary. It looks just like my a. dissectum atropurpura or a. Crimson Queen.
    I believe there are many factors that can affect leaf color in J. Maples such as heat, humidity, dryness and stress. I believe his can make for much confusion between cultivars.

Rich

8. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Rich,

I went back and took a look at the thread "Red Maple Nursery". Dick Wolff who named that plant was growing an amazing array of dissectums. Could it be that he was able to detect distinctive characteristics because he observed it through the seasons and had many other trees for comparison?

Edgewood cemetery is close by so this spring I might go in search of the original.

Happy New Year.

9. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not purple enough for 'Crimson Queen'. Not mentioned (as 'Edgewood' etc.) in third edition of JAPANESE MAPLES. While it being a re-naming of an earlier introduction seems likely without it being matched to an identical plant with a name it being an independent seedling is still possible. Another factor that impacts the naming of it is that when a plant such as Japanese maple is represented by numerous cultivars how new introductions are placed may vary, some being or becoming considered additional clones of existing cultivars rather than entirely distinct plants deserving full cultivar status. This may be one of those: perhaps it can be seen to be different from other clone(s) but otherwise has the characteristics of an older cultivar and should be placed within it rather than given a new cultivar name.

10. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Ron,
    I never met Dick Wolff but looking at his notes in the catalog he seems familiar with nomenclature. Also, the list shows many dissectums. He had lots of opportunity for comparing.

Wonder if some of the American cultivars are as obscure as the Japanese, e.g. "Book for Maples" shows some very mysterious cultivars.

Maybe Ed or Elmore know more about the plant.

11. Galt

Galt Active Member

Looks like a relative of Ornatum and another maple, Mioun, that is frequently attributed to the area this maple originated in. I do not think it looks like or would readily be mistaken for dissectum Atropurpureum or a Crimson Queen.

12. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

No...I believe this is more closely related to what we call dissectum rubrum rather than dissectum atropurpureum...but I would have to observe more to say for sure. Plus I don't really know where you would draw the line between the two. But, I believe it has something to do with whether it has predominately anthracyanin or both anthracyanin and carotine based pigmentation.

13. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I just bought an Edgewood's Golden, and it is really an awesome cultivar! Whether its an old one or something totally new, it really doesn't matter if its a beautiful plant! I'm just glad Mr. Wolf had the presence of mind to propgate it and make it available to all of us.

Here are pics of my new tree. The green-gold stems and the two-tone leaves of red and green are truly delightful!

Regards,

K4

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  14. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

15th April 2023 and a first for me with this one. Just starting to unfurl this morning.
    PXL_20230415_121025805.jpg

15. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

5th May 2023 and my new little Edgewood's Golden is in full leaf.
    Not sure if I will keep it in a pot, but it might be nice cascading down.
    PXL_20230504_151148012.jpg

AlainK likes this.