Lack of Edible Fruit/Nut trees/Perennials

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by geordiemilne, Aug 19, 2010.

1. geordiemilne

geordiemilne Member

After studying resilience and permaculture for the past year I am enthusiastic to start creating more local food sources, building community, generating local economy, etc..

After spending 2 hours of my morning searching for a relatively local nursery to provide me with a range of fruit/nut trees (and maybe some edible perennials too) I am finding myself a bit concerned. Without a source to find these plants, how am I to start these projects in a sustainable way?

With milions of people to feed in Vancouver alone, does it not seem a little crazy to be without a single nursery providing plants that can feed a population?

Awareness about peak oil, climate change, and so on, is increasing every day, isn't it about time we start making changes in our own backyards? Or is it just easier to depend on South America, New Zealand, etc., for our produce?

Long story short, can anyone point me in the direction of such a nursery, in case I have just missed it? If not, shall we start to create one?

Ideas? Solutions?

Here's a youtube playlist with some video's on Permaculture/Peak oil/etc

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=090C3A427DCA63B7

http://www.geordiemilne.com

2. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

I think you just need to know where to look. The Fraser Valley is full of nurseries that sell fruiting trees and shrubs; even Burnaby has several Asian-run nurseries that carry such plants. It can be an entertaining excursion to see what kind of strange and unusual plants you can grow for food. So, in short, it takes a little time, but you can definitely grow a wide variety of foods in your own back yard.

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

There are a lot of nurseries in the region that sell food plants and orchard trees. There may not be a lot out there right now, but fruit trees and shrubs will appear in late fall--the best time to plant. Veggie plants are mostly sold in the early spring.

You might want to look over the website of City Farmer They have links to native plant sources, maybe they have a list of food plant sources. They have a lot of other useful info on urban farming.

Here is a list of PNW Native Plant Sources. Some of these nurseries sell food plants.

There are many nurseries in the lower mainland, but it may take some searching. Mail order sources are an option as well.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Down here the biggest selection of fruit trees and fruit bushes at garden centers is present near the end of winter, when these are offered bare-rooted. Rhubarb roots etc. also appear at this time.

Especially with the economic downturn fruit, vegetable and nut plants continue to be major portions of the product mix at most outlets carrying outdoor plants here.

5. Vili Petek

Vili Petek Member

6. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Derry is an expert on apples for this area. Also supplies blueberry plants in many varieties:

http://derrysorchardandnursery.ca

Joining a local garden club was the best way for me to get oriented on who's who & what grows in the Valley.
    I know a couple of people in the White Rock Garden Club & I believe it quite active.

gb.