Question on replanting lilies

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by spaberlejr, Aug 2, 2009.

1. spaberlejr

spaberlejr Member

A neighbor of mine has offered to give a number of tiger lilies which have spread into a part of her garden where she does not want them.

Can someone explain to me how and when I should do this ?

Is it a matter of just digging them up and replanting them ? or is it the wrong time of year to be doing so ?

2. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Do this following blooming in the late fall (autumn) or before blooming in early spring.

Prepare the flowerbed well before planting. If possible use a soil testing kit. Oh yes. Watch out for the Lilly Beetle I caught one last year on my lillies..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_lily_beetle

3. spaberlejr

spaberlejr Member

Thank you Katalina for your help. When you say prepare the soil using the soil testing kit, what exactly should I be looking for --- the correct ph level ? She is a neighbor of mine down the street, and I assumed the soil is the same --- incorrect assumption ?

When I dig up the Lillie's, will I find a bulb at the bottom or a root structure ?

4. Nath

Nath Active Member

After they have finished flowering allow the stems to die back to put the goodness back into the bulbs, once that has happened its safe to cut the dead stems back to just above the bulb, then you can replant them in your garden where they have full sun but are sheltered from winds. They will be fine in the ground through the winter and you should get a few more years blooms, some lillies will only produce flowers from the bulbs for 2 to 3 years, other creat new bulbs if you allow them to die back or you can collect the seeds from the pods that form after the lillies have finished flowering. That way you can grow lots of new lillies and they will form small bulbs from the seed with short stems, they won't produce flowers when grown from seed for 2 years but if you are pacient you can have lots on new Lillies for future displays, as gardeners we are always thinking ahead anyway to how we want the garden to look next year or the year after.

Nath

5. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Exactly right there. And if you read what Nath said, he tells you what comes after that test.