Problem with phlox

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by lavalos, Jun 6, 2009.

1. lavalos

lavalos Active Member

I have phlox paniculata in several parts of my garden, and as summer starts they get yellow in most of the areas, as shown in the picture. Last year I noticed some brown beetles on the leaves and I assumed that they were the cause. This year I applied an insecticide twice, and have not noticed any bug, but the damage still goes on. Anybody have a better idea of what the problem is?

I have had the house for 3 summers so I don't know for how long this has been happening.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Beetles chew, when they are damaging your plants it is because they are chewed. However, this looks like it could be some kind of pathogenic problem like a virus - with there being a possibility that the beetles brought it to them.

Or maybe it's some kind of trace mineral deficiency. Whatever it is, it is making the leaves wavy as well as discolored.

Try taking some affected shoots to your nearest Nebraska Cooperative Extension office, if you can.