Walnut Tree Again

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Unregistered, Feb 22, 2002.

1. walnut tree

My new garden is overshadowed by a huge walnut tree - it's not a black walnut, but I'm wondering if it will still be a problem to plant a garden underneath? currently there is a dead looking moss lawn.

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

walnut tree

There are a few reasons why your moss/lawn may not be doing well under this tree. Some broadleaf trees cast a very heavy shade and some produce lots of roots near the soil surface (particularly in thin, nutrient poor soils). This tree may be doing both. Another problem may be compacted soil, especially if there is significant foot traffic under the tree.

As lawns are very demanding with respect to both light and moisture, you may find it difficult to re-establish a healthy lawn here. Aerating the surface soil, applying dolomite lime and a thin skiff of compost annually and ensuring adequate moisture by irrigating may encourage regrowth, but if the shade is too great, you may have to settle for moss.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2002
  3. alli

alli Member

walnut tree

I didn't mean would the lawn grow back, I meant can I dig it up and plant a shade garden under the walnut tree - I know they have a reputuation for being toxic to many plants.

4. Walnut Tree

Michigan State University Extension has an interesting article on walnut toxicity together with a long list of special cultivars that will survive under walnut trees ( including herbaceous perennials, annuals, vines,shrubs):
    http://www.msu.edu/msue/imp/modop/00001916.html

5. alli

alli Member

Thanks- that site is really helpful, and linked to a few others too. Should be able to come up with a fairly decent plant list.