In The Garden: apple or crab apple tree?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by claj00007, Sep 9, 2011.

1. claj00007

claj00007 Member

this tree is growing in Edmonton where I'm visiting and I would like to know if it's some sort of crab apple or a eating apple tree. The apples are about 1.5 inches ( 3cm ) in diameter. The tree has never been pruned. The apples tastes a little sour but may not be ripe yet. Anyone know what kind of tree it is? Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

The answer is determined by taste, so you'll be the best judge (they haven't yet invented a way of adding taste to the internet!). If it doesn't taste nice as-is, it'll still be good for pies, jelly, etc.

3. claj00007

claj00007 Member

Thanks for the reply Michael - I imagine that pruning the tree would help increase the size of the fruit of next year's crop.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

No reason why pruning should change fruit size - it is genetically determined, not cultural.

5. sgbotsford

sgbotsford Active Member 10 Years

Then from the size it may be an "apple crab" A cross between a small fruited apple and a large fruited apple with characteristics between the two.

The entire malus genus has a very plastic genome. Off spring don't breed true. Apples are commonly produced by grafting. Root stocks can either be seed grown, or also produced by cloning.

Crabapples are somewhat more likely to resemble their parents. Siberian crab is often used as a root stock.