Geranium (not Pelargonium) Identification

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by StreakyG, Aug 2, 2010.

1. StreakyG

StreakyG Member

I'm trying to identify all of the flowers in our garden. I've had a certain amount of success, mainly by asking my folks who have been keen gardebers for years.
    This plant is (I'm pretty sure) a Geranium with 2 different colour Pink flowers growing on the same plant. It's planted in Scotland and after last winter's lows of -10 degrees Celcius I assume it's pretty Hardy. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

The two pictures I've attached are quite similar but I think one shows the flower better, the other the leaves. It's still flowering so if anyone has a clue but needs a better shot then that is possible.

Attached Files:

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Welcome! Looks like a Cranesbill aka Hardy geranium. These little beauties come in a very wide range of colors and flower sizes from about an inch across up to 2 inches. Maybe you have 2 different colored plants. barb

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The common ones generally like this belong to Geranium x oxonianum, although I don't at the moment recognize yours as a particular, familiar named form. Perhaps it is even one of the parent species. Books just on geraniums are on the shelves of libraries with horticultural collections.

Named forms planted in my garden have crossed and reseeded to produce additional, unnamed types.