What is this and what is wrong with it???

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by kaliandchase, Aug 4, 2010.

1. kaliandchase

kaliandchase Member

We have a plant that we got given to us year ago and have never known what it was. In our last house it was thriving, but since we moved a few months ago it has been suffering. We have tried it in a number of different rooms and it is still dropping leaves and not looking happy.

So first off we are looking to identify what kind of plant it is and then secondly we are hoping that someone can tell what is wrong with it. Below are a couple of pictures we took today. I can take other pictures if it helps.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Looks like Schefflera arboricola, Umbrella Tree.

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hard to see the detail. The soil looks a bit dry, but you had success with the plant before, so you probably know what it needs there. I wonder if it might have picked up some pests on the move. Look closely for signs of bugs. Is the water different in the new house--seems unlikely in this region, but water softeners or anything?

4. kaliandchase

kaliandchase Member

I don't think the water should be an issue as I think it is coming from the same reservoir as our last place. In our last place it used to sit in our kitchen window and so if got a lot of indirect light throughout the day as well as some morning sun. In the new place light is far more of an issue as we don't have anywhere with the same kind of light. From what I have read now on the type of plant it is the light shouldn't be that major of a concern. Right now the room it is in is fairly light most of the day but gets a good blast of sun in the afternoon. It has lost about half of its leaves since we moved and don't seem to have much new growth. I will take a closer look for bugs but nothing stood out.

I guess I will just have to keep trying. I will see if I can take some better pictures in hopes that they shed some new light on the situation.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It does look like there is a dust dry soil zone around the outside.