Lawn Alternatives with Dogs

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Raincity, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Raincity

Raincity New Member

Hi all!

Our family is moving to a new place at the end of the month, & we'd like to replace the grass lawn with a no-mow alternative (preferably also no-watering/drought-tolerant, given the way the weather is going!). We also have two small dogs who use the yard as their "loo."

We're quite new to gardening, and brand-new to the whole ground cover concept, so I've just been looking up lists of pet-friendly ground covers online.

Does anyone have any input as to which of the following might be most suitable in our situation?

- moss
    - Corsican mint
    - Dutch white clover
    - microclover
    - chamomile
    - thyme

From what I've read so far, it sounds like one of the clovers might be the best option, in terms of expense, hardiness, etc. However, it also sounds like they might need mowing from time to time.... (Although we're not bothered by bees - on the contrary, we'd like to do everything possible to help them! - so the flowers are not an issue.)

Many thanks!! :)

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I don't intend to sound flippant - why change what is there if it is just the dog bathroom (and I thank you for ensuring your dogs go in your own property - not the road the park the neighbour house etc - you're a rare person for sure)

- most locally appropriate grass dries out in summer, comes back in winter - we've been doing that for many decades in my experience at the Coast. *ie where we grew up at coast there was a well so no summer water to waste on a lawn.

otherwise, gravel if you want really no maintenance. That's what my neighbour does for several dogs in their exercise toilet area which the family rakes and cleans daily and disposes properly. Just make sure you have a solid curb between gravel and lawn - you don't want the gravel flying around with the lawnmower or weed eater trimmer device.

3. Raincity

Raincity New Member

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated!

I should have clarified that the back yard will definitely not be *just* the dogs' WC! We have a daughter who loves to spend time outdoors (as do we), and although we're planning to do the majority of the actual vegetable gardening in the front yard (which has much more sun exposure), we do hope to create a bit of an oasis in the back as well.

My point was simply that since we do have dogs, certain ground covers are probably out from the get-go, due to the "paw traffic" etc. Our reluctance to have a traditional grass lawn is not from an unwillingness to garden (planning to do lots of that!), but primarily because of concerns regarding power & water use. There seems to be a really wonderful movement now to shift towards grass alternatives, so we thought we'd try to tap into that as well!

However, as you say, grass and/or gravel might end up being our best option, which is fine too. Just wanted to get some insight from more experienced gardeners!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. :)

4. Georgia Strait

... for design ideas, have a look at www.sunset.com - it is the website of an old west coast living type magazine (it started as an "on board" magazine on the railroad in 1898) - the mag has changed with the times, and esp under new ownership - but the garden ideas are still great - and totally west coast. (Calif to AK) ... lots of xeriscape, gravel, firesmart, etc.

I would not recommend any mulch esp for small pets (slivers) - plus hard to clean up their waste. (AND NOT FIRESMART)

before your landscape contractor brings the gravel - ask to see samples - I know fr experience that what is called "crusher" or "3/4 minus" at the coast - is a diff looking product on the other side of the mtns Kelowna area (different geology - ie gravel pits, for starters). I would not use crusher dust (the fine sandy gravel like they use on "all weather soccer fields" or park trails.) It takes a while to settle it (like years) and always tracks in the house. Instead, go for bigger crush - My dog neighbor probably has drain rocks - like what you'd use in a septic drain field, approx between 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch each rock, and laid down about 5 inches thick - with heavy duty professional landscape cloth underneath. They are clean, not sharp, grey color. The fenced exercise bathroom area is probably 10 x 20 feet (they are big dogs) in a curving shape - with shrubs etc.

I am not sure of your sun exposure - but salal is a nice Coast local native plant - shade or sun, and once established, is hard to destroy (tho not invasive in a bad way) - it is evergreen and looks great all year round at the coast. Sword ferns, - and vine maple (small native maple) also do well - and offer shade to your pet area.

in addition to the pet area with gravel, I have also seen a really nice gravel patio area installed in a lawn - it was a large circle, at least as big as a backyard trampoline. Then some flagstones (very large, probably 2 x 3 feet each) artfully installed in the gravel - then the usual deck chairs ---- I think it had a firepit in the middle - looked great. (Of course, you'd have to check local regulations about fire pit - I think this one was a propane fire pit so no sparks/embers/smoke - very simple, very cottage)

5. Raincity

Raincity New Member

Thanks so much for all these great & helpful suggestions!! I'll take some time & look into them all. :)

6. Georgia Strait

here you go - some starter ideas (link below) - the person in the article (Bud Stuckey) I think is one of the on-staff gardeners for Sunset Mag - so he probably knows of which he speaks, as they say. Granted this is in CA (near the Bay Area) however I think it offers some good advice regardless of Western garden
    region.

EDIT to add - the point they make in this article about the marker post for the male (and sometimes a female) dog to lift their leg is important - I notice the neighbor dogs here do the same - and will make their own marker lift-leg station if you don't provide one for them - like a nice piece of legally harvested driftwood etc (otherwise it could be your lawn chair! etc)

http://www.sunset.com/garden/backyard-projects/dog-friendly-gardens

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015