Weeping Fig Leaves Dropping

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Eric La Fountaine, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

Hi,

I have had a weeping fig for approx. two and a half years. It is in a pretty good size pot and was growing enthusiastically when all of a sudden, more and more leaves started falling off - around November (3 months ago). The leaves do not go any particuluar colour, they just drop. The stems seem to be softening also.

I have put it in direct sunlight (due to the lack of light in the winter), to no avail. I'm scared to put it next to a heater (that runs along the window - what a stupid place to put a heater!) and I'm also worried to place it further into the room in case it doesn't get enough filtered daylight, although the room is bright. The room is small but has 3 double windows.

Do you think there is a possibility I am over-watering it during the winter months, even though I'm giving it the same amount of water it took the past two winters?
    Or is there something else wrong?

Help, I really would like to save it from looking like a skeleton.

Regards, Caroline

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Caroline,

Since you've had this tree for 2 1/2 years you probably already know that they drop their leaves if you change the way you water, move them, they get a draft, you turn on the heat or even look at them funny. They also shed in the fall. You mention that the stems seem soft. If they are, then it sounds like it may have been overwatered at some point. Could it be that it sat in water too long? Have you fertilized? Maybe it has been overfertilized. Best to fertilize only in spring and summer and dilute to half strength.

Another thought that comes to mind is that it may need to be repotted. If you have not repotted it since you brought it home then it is probably rootbound. I suggest a pot that is 2" larger.

I agree that putting it near the heat source is not a good idea. Keep it in a bright spot away from drafts of cold or hot.

Hope this helps,
    Newt