Moss killer

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by bolero, May 27, 2006.

1. bolero

bolero Member

Hi everyone. I applied to much moss killer with fertilizer to my lawn. Now the moss is dead and some of the grass turned black. looks likes they got burnt. Would this killed the grass completely or can it recover and grows again? Thanks...

Bo

2. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Likely your grass will be just fine, Its quite common what your seeing, when moss killer is applied heavy. After a couple cuts it should go away. The grass may be a little greener for a while there though. Jim

3. bolero

bolero Member

Thanks, now i can breath easily...

4. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

5. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

It is too bad you are not in the USA. I would gladly take as much moss as I could get from you (within reason of course) as you know I like to grow it and I am trying to supply a friend in Illinois who is into growing it as well! So for those in the USA-don't kill you moss first send it to me. You can email me as I would pay for the shipping!!!
    Still can't believe this-I would tear out my lawn for moss!!! I did tear out my lawn for weeds!!! No for flowers-really!

6. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I'm with you on this one terrestrial_man. Moss doesn't need cutting and is very nice to walk on. I hate spending (wasting) time cutting my lawn.

Cheers, LPN.

7. bunting

bunting Member

I have 4 acres

One section about 1 acre is moss in a shadier area

I love it. So soft to walk on, sit on a easier to look after. no mowing.

I'd have the whole thing in moss if I could.

The front lawns are in hot sun from sunrise to sunset

I suppose there isn't a way of turning the whole thing into moss in the hot sunny areas, is there??

I just shake my head when people spend a fortune on their lawns to make the grass grow then pay big money to have it cut every week

Doesn't make sense to me but each his own

thanks bunting

8. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

You may have applied it too heavy, but it can still grow or recover.

Myself, I typically like the moss in the lawn at edges that are shady, provided there is not too much.

Whole different approach than my greenskeeping days of the past.

9. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

To follow up, you should probably power rake, lime, and oversow with more grass seed...

10. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Living on a moss dominated acre here for 17 years, I've pondered what it is that encourages/discourages the stuff. And yes, the oriental moss gardens are awesome...so I don't fight it in my lawn either.

My pure sand soil, with pH of 6.8 and areas in full sun, (also never fertilized or irrigated) still grows lots of moss, contrary to some conventional wisdom. My hunch is that iron is a large part of the equation...tho not sure how a person could use that to actually encourage a changeover from grass to moss if desired! My lawn does flood a lot in our rainy winters coupled with the pervasive hardpan under that sandy topsoil layer...I believe there is some chemical reaction as a result. Most higher plants require Fe+2, whereas the flooding (hope this is correct) tends to convert it to Fe+3 which is unavailable to grasses. Moss seems to thrive in these "low iron" conditions...whereas moss killers often contain iron sulphate.

Anyhoo, that's my current hypothesis, waiting for Mythbusters to work on it, then we'll know for sure?

11. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    One good use for moss I was told by old vegetable gardening friend of mine. You use the moss raked out of the lawn in the spring to plant potatoes in. First place a layer of moss down at the right depth then lay your seed potatoes down with another layer of moss on top and cover with soil. The potatoes come out blemish free and nice and clean.

12. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Greg--that is awesome, if I could get scab free spuds I would be tempted to grow them again here!

Another entry in the 1001 uses for moss--I've heard that cuttings of some plants, e.g. camellia, will root beautifully in pure live moss, no pathogen problems and perfect air/water balance in there...sounds reasonable tho haven't tried it myself.