No Green Thumb: Need help with satsuma and lemon tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by niki8410, Nov 8, 2008.

1. niki8410

niki8410 Member

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a satsuma tree and a lemon tree and planted them outside with the moat to fill with water. I have some questions that I am hoping someone could help me out with.

I live in Biloxi, MS where the weather is fairly warm. Winter time we get a couple of freezes but they do not last long. With that said, and I know this is going to sound weird, but are the leaves supposed to fall off the trees? A few leaves have already started to fall off both trees and I am not sure if that is because of the season change or because I am not taking care of them properly...

Also, I have heard that little white bugs are attracted to these trees...I have that problem with the lemon tree. With the satsuma tree, I find that little black ants are attracted and some sort of black, almost shiny fly (even though it is not exactly a fly)...What do I need to do to get rid of them because I heard that they could stun the reproduction for crops and these are really young trees so I want to be sure they do not suffer from these bugs.

Also, (dont worry, I am almost done) when do we add miracle growth or plant food? I heard you need to add those things but I have no clue when and what and if that is even true...

Finally...I have a cat problem in my neighborhood and they keep spraying the lemon tree, which I am afraid will not last if it keeps getting sprayed...Any thoughts on what could repel these cats?

I have attached a picture of the lemon tree, the satsuma tree and the flying bug that eats the satsuma leaves, check them out because maybe you may see something that I dont...I am trying to take care of them but I just want to be sure the trees look healthy (as much as possible atleast) as far as color and leaves are concerned.

Picture 1- Lemon tree Picture 2- Satsuma Picture 3- Bug

If you read all of this post, I am so grateful to you and look forward to a response, as you could tell I am freaking out because I do not have a green thumb and have killed everything that I have touched and I am trying to break that streak lol.

Attached Files:

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

The best thing you can do is read a lot of the post on this forum--use the search function to find threads about things you need to know.

As for fertilizer, now is not the time--wait until mid Jan to early Feb to start. Then for the first yr sprinkle a cup of 8-8-8 in a circle around each tree once a month between Feb and Sept--do not fertilize between Sept and mid Jan as it can stimulate growth in winter that will be subject to cold damage.

Your satsuma will not need much protection as long as temps do not go below 20's or hit early in the fall while the tree is actively growing. The lemon will need protection below 30.

The bug in the picture is not a citrus pest--I see them often. If you have white flies, scale, or aphids, you can spray with an oil spray (horticultural oil--like volck or ultrafine).

The leaves falling is natural--the lemon looks a little nitrogen deficient, but that will improve when you start fertilizing.

3. niki8410

niki8410 Member

Thank you so much...I really appreciate all your help.

4. davidh75

davidh75 Member

i would also tell you, about lemon trees, make sure they get lots of water... from my own experience, they should be watered daily if you just put them in the ground, if they are established, water once or twice a week max.. thats what i did with mine..