Propagating from seeds

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by budhwani, Mar 30, 2008.

1. budhwani

budhwani Member

Hi all,

I am new to the forum. I am new to gardening. I would like to start flower seeds outside and I am wondering if I can do so safely. I live in New Westminster, BC. I am planning to start both annuals (hardy and not) and perennials. I do have a cold frame. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Many thanks,

sikeenah

2. Dannyal

Dannyal Member

It depends on the seeds. some can be sown out doors, some have to started indoors to give them head start and some need stratification. Read the seed package carefully. Protection from the frost is a must.
    If germinating indoors, secret is in the soil. use sterile, soil-less pro mix(e.g:mix composed of sphagnum/peat moss, perlite and vermiculite: but no manure). To prevent seedling being killed by 'damping off', I use product called 'No damp' (available at wal*mart) for every watering (It has to be diluted).
    Here is a very good gemination guide you can trust:
    http://tomclothier.hort.net/index.html

3. Debby

Debby Active Member 10 Years

Starting seeds like sweet peas indoors without soil has been helpful: Put a folded wet paper towel into a plastic food-saver/sandwich box and sprinkle the seeds onto the paper. Put the cover on the sandwich box and watch for germination (the little root poking out of the seed); at that point, carefully place each seed into individual small plastic pots or peat pots containing soil-less potting mix. You can start smaller seeds that way, but you must catch them before the roots grow into the paper towel. (If that happens, you can plant whatever paper pieces come along with the germinated seed.) Try different methods with the same type of seed to see which method works for you.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008