City Composting

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by SisLovingInside, Oct 26, 2005.

1. SisLovingInside

SisLovingInside Member

hi.
    I would like some suggestions on everyone's way of composting in the city. Maybe not everything but most things like organic tea and veggies and fruit.... it would be cool to be able to make my own growing mixture from it. thoughts?
    thanks.
    SisLovingINside

2. Ian J. Egloff

Ian J. Egloff Member

My system is;
    two worm compost bins out side,
    one general garden and house compost bin outside,
    wood pile and leaves.
    I move them around a lot mix them whith each other & use Oak leaves for winter mulch.
    There are problems and benifits to this system.
    Have fun.
    Ian

3. we use a barrel set on a stand so you can flip it over, it works well, composts pretty quickly.

4. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

And look into setting up a worm bin- you can even have one indoors.

5. Erica

Erica Active Member

We lived in an apartment and on the balcony I had a Rubbermaid container with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage (which was stinky), a bit of soil and newspaper and a yogurt containerfull of red wigglers (worms). It worked well for peels, grounds, and small stuff but it took 2 years for them to eat a pineapple top.

http://www.earth911.org/master.asp?s=lib&a=organics/composting/wormcompost.asp

6. chuckrkc

chuckrkc Active Member

I think if you had chopped up the pineapple top the red wigglers would have eaten it much quicker. The worms have tiny mouths, I guess. A blender or food processor from a thrift store works great. Otherwise, hack with a kitchen knife. The finer the better. My nephews loved our vermiculture set up, and it solidified my ranking as Most Odd Uncle. I am sure we will have to set another up.