Cold-hardy fruit tree mail order in Canada

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Rob Beckers, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Rob Beckers

Rob Beckers Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2018
  2. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    I have been off the forum, actually, for some time, having done most of my set-up gardening here and no longer at the moment anyway on our strata [townhouse condo] council. However, still interested in gardening and trees, of course, are very prominent in people's minds here. Would like a recommendation for a stay-small plum tree -- there is a plum tree right out back of a window behind us, too close really, but the tree of whatever variety wants to get too big and it is a constant struggle for us to keep it pruned, but we did do a big prune job on it late this past summer and now there is a very small canopy on a two-armed vase-shape crown, and it bore quite a few plums last spring despite some heavy pruning the previous year-and-a-half, so hoping for more fruit next summer... however, if the tree gets to be too much of a bother, I'd like to replace it with a small-growing plum tree or small sour cherry -- do sour cherries grow well in Pacific North West and can you get ones that want to stay small?

3. janetdoyle

Thanks, will certainly investigate Fruit Trees and More, don't live far away from it I guess. There are options around Victoria, of course, garden centres as well as one or two older unique nurseries that might still be in business such as Le Coteau which used to have many varieties of fruit trees and used to give workshops... must re-visit this spring. Here's Le Coteau's website Le Coteau Nursery website is slow to load but looks interesting...

4. janetdoyle

I read through the entries [edit by wcutler: entries are now at Fruit and Nut Tree Resources Discussion] more carefully and saw the sources listed, especially for the bush-like sour cherries from Saskatchewan! That sounds excellent, thank you Bob Beckers. Lots of places to inquire now. Thank you for reviving the thread --

5. Delvi83

Delvi83 Active Member

Why not Asimina triloba ?!