Elephant ears gone foul?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Hibert, Jun 25, 2006.

1. BunkyX

BunkyX Active Member

The picture in my previous post was of Xanthosomas saggitifolia. While the photo does not really do them justice, these plants are just over 6 ft tall. The new crop of leaves now forming will get almost 4 ft. long and 3 ft. wide. When they "Bloom" it is usually late in the evening and I can always tell by the smell. The odor will twinge the hairs in your nose. If anyone is interested I have some pictures of the pathe and spadix somewhere in the bowels of my computer.
    Gene

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I suspected Xanthosoma saggitifolia These are grown in large fields west of Miami as a food crop largely for the Cuban market. I've seen then at 10 feet a few times. They will actually grow taller in a shady location rather than direct sunlight, although the commercial growers leave them in full sun. They can survive for long periods with little water and go dormant if the temp drops lower than 50 degrees. And you are correct, the leaves can be enormous.

The problem still remains, far too many plants are called "Elephant Ears". That term tells you nothing other than the plant can have large leaves. But not necessarily. Colocasia esculenta is often sold with that common name. Their leaves are normally around 18 inches to 2 feet. And I've even seen Caladium sp. claim it as well with leaves under 1 foot!

3. kbs

kbs Member

Well....mine look just like yours Gene and that is exactly what we call in my parts "elephant ears"!! However the kind I have has like a blackish blue & deep green color and .... according to my new buddy, is a hybrid!!! I only bought this one because it was such a rich color. I like these and I hope to get mine straight!!

4. kbs

kbs Member

They smell???? OOOOOoooo.....I did not know that ....do all of these smell?

5. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Color and smell?

Almost for sure, the "blackish, bluish" one is Colocasia esculenta. Check this page: http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Colocasia esculenta large pc.html

Or Xanthosoma violaceum which can be seen at this link:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Xanthasoma violaceum pc.html

All are very different species. I have no desire to be a smart alec, but please consider this: An elephant, a dog, a cat, a horse and a pig all have 4 legs and 2 ears. But they are not the same. All are very different. Plants with big leaves are very different species as well. Just because a plant has big "ears" should not qualify it for a single common name. When people ask a question on this board and describe the plant only as an "Elephant Ear" that is the equivalent of saying "I've got a plant with leaves, what is it?" "Elephant Ear" tells us almost nothing other than it has a large leaf. If someone is truly seeking advice on a species then it is helpful to know what species, or a closer description than simply "Elephant Ear", that plant might be. There are something close to 5000 tropical plants that could qualify as an "Elephant Ear". It would obviously be difficult to discuss anything witout knowning something more about the plant.

As for the smell?

All aroids produce a spathe and spadix. Many people call them a "flower", they are not. The spathe and spadix are actually an inflorescence. (I am including photos of spathe and spadices) There are tiny flowers on the spadix which is the center portion of the inflorescence and resembles an elongated pine cone. You would need a good magnifying tool to see them. The inflorescence is the aroid's way of reproducing and the "smell" is actually a pheromone (perfume of sorts) produced by the inflorescence to attract an insect pollinator. Most aroids attempt to attract a very specific insect to help it with the work of reproduction. And some insects love "stinky" smells. Ever notice all the bugs attracted to dead meat?

Most aroids, but not all, produce separate "groups" of male and female flowers on the spadix. Most often those are separated by a sterile band. An insect pollinator is attracted to the scent of the pheromone and thus collects pollen from the male flowers, normally located near the bottom of the spadix. Nature's goal is for the insect to fly away and deposit that pollen on the inflorescence of another plant, thus producing pollination. But to do so, the insect must find another plant where the female flowers are "receptive". A botanist can figure out when that is happening due to the production of the scent and small droplets of liquid. It is survival of the fittest.

Nature is attempting to keep the plant from pollinating itself, thus the role of the sterile zone. If the pollination on a second plant is successful seed berries will be produced which contain seeds. A variety of animals, mostly birds, eat these berries and carry them away so the species is continued. The seeds are deposited elsewhere in the droppings of the bird or animal.

In most cases the pheromone is actually sweet smelling, but sometimes it can be awful! The most famous cases of the "awful" smell are Amorphophallus titanum and Rafflesia arnoldii. Both are called "Corpse Flowers", and that is exactly what they smell like! Dead meat!

Both are found near Indonesia on small islands and are considered rare. Rafflesia arnoldii, with its 20 pound "flower" has never been displayed in any botanical garden and is extremely rare. It has no stem, no leaves and is never seen unless it is producing an inflorescence. It lives inside a vine! Amorphophallus titanum is often seen in large gardens. Fairchild Tropical Garden in Miami attracts large crowds, and television crews, every time one blooms. It can be enormous with a "flower" (actually an inflorscence) ten feet tall! Look them both up on the internet! Quite fascinating.

The photos in order are Anthurium schtendalii, Anthurium regale, Anthurium watermaliense, and Alocasia odora.

And that is your botany lesson for the day!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007