Arbutus: Arbutus Trees

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by UBC Botanical Garden Front Office, Mar 9, 2006.

1. UBC Botanical Garden Front Office

UBC Botanical Garden Front Office Member UBC Botanical Garden

The following message was received via email:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

3. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Perhaps their time is up? If you have giant Arbutus, such as those found in Vesuvius Bay...and these are unaffected ,the others could be experiencing the recent winter wind burn, especially if the dying trees are youthful...I see this on a few young and fully exposed trees in West Vancouver. I am also concerned...

4. Joan

Joan Active Member

It is very upsetting to see trees which have reached a good size at the age of thirty years or so going into rapid decline.They should be in their prime!
    I am referring to arbutus on Bowen Island and the smaller Howe Sound Islands. The problem is compounded by the huge deer population which has grown to great numbers in those same thirty years. It is very concerning to see almost no seedling arbutus surving. Will there be any arbutus around in fifty years?

5. sue1

sue1 Active Member 10 Years

I live on Garbiola Island, and had to have a number of my Arbutus logged last Fall as they were rotting and therefore becoming dangerous because I live on a high bluff (wind). As I've only had this property for 10 years, I have no idea how old these trees were, however, I'm given to understand they don't have a long life span, and, in fact, many folks regard them as "weeds". Not to be defeated, I had the logger leave very large "stumps" in the hopes that maybe at least I would get a bush out of them. So far there's nothing, but spring cometh, so we shall see. I have enclosed my property with deer fencing, so no more nibbling on my arbutus, nor any other flora.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

There are always plenty of people who regard any tree or other plant that pops up where they think it is interfering with something they want to do as weedy, no matter how unique and beautiful--as is Arbutus menziesii--that species is.

The madrone in Carmel Valley, CA with a trunk 316 inches around is going to be alot more than 30 years old.

7. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

sue1,
    I work at Duke Point and routinely look across to Gabriola. I get over a couple of times a year as well. Are you on that bluff over looking Duke Pt/Harmac ? That's rather high, maybe 300' or so.

Cheers, LPN

8. sue1

sue1 Active Member 10 Years

Yes, I am. From my house I look over a small valley and directly at Duke Point ferry terminal, with Nanaimo harbour slightly to the left of me. Our cliff from the valley is approx. 300ft high.

Sue

9. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

sue1 ... That's great! I have visited a few gardens on Gabriola and a few friends live there too that I visit periodically.
    Cheers, LPN