small space gardener pictures

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by Blake09, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Now either Blake,

I have *always gone out to look and the double has fallen apart from age lol or thats how Begonias are - single and double on same stem...pity if its the latter.

I love the yellows myself...I usually end up with a Begonia or two each year. Has anyone noticed and juicy and fragile the stems are?

I was reading the other day about making standards out of a Begonia but the stems are so breakable I really don't see how thats possible..ah well.

2. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Very cool (to me at least), I think it's like a throw back in genes such as a variegated plant reverting. (I have a Russelia equisetiformis plant which is yellow flowering but occasionally throws some red.) You could try removing branches with dominant single flowers and see if it comes back producing more doubles.
    Sadly it's the soft fleshy stem that makes them so prone to rot here, they are always such a nice show of colour.

Attached Files:

3. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Oooh thay are very beautiful chungii..very!!

4. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

well, my strawberrie plant(s) just came up.. ;)

Attached Files:

5. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Its there alright Black,

Whats going in the path next to it?

6. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Yum, I worked at a Strawberry farm for a year and a bit when I first left school. Do they grow all year where you are? Summer tends to fry them here and they're best grown June-August. I gave up on mine this year, they copped a little over spray with weedkiller and never came back, just a bare spot now:{ I tend to let my vege patch sit through summer and start again as the days cool a little, gives it a chance to recover too. I love growing vegies and fruit, it's really cool being able to eat what you grow:} plus you know what's been put into it and most importantly you can often avoid eating unknown chemicals used on the commercial farms.

7. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

what do you mean by "Its there alright Black,"

Nothing is growing on the path next to it, that is a water deture because we have recently had belly washer and it just sucks the dirt into king kong!!! that black stuff is some rich compost dirt that I mixed in........

8. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

The strawberries grow from spring to fall where I am and then retreat to their roots during the winter and let their folage fall off, this will be my first year of growing strawberries ;)

*I like to try something new every couple years, but the strawberries will be around a long time ;) ;) :)

9. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Cool, I have a small vege patch but usually just grow tomatoes, lettuce, onion there's a dwarf cauliflower which does amazing and tastes really nice and anything else the wife brings home for me to plant :}
    One of the kids is doing cooking this year and he came home and mentioned purple carrots the other day so I'm ordering some off ebay. They are purple outside but orange inside! Supposed to taste nice... I've grown purple corn before but couldn't convince myself to eat it :}

10. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Colour, shapes and fragrance all to enhance our living spaces...

Attached Files:

11. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Very nice, I planted a Michelia figo Coco about 2 metres off the front door, you can smell it half way down the driveway, all the way to the front door. It's a nice welcome home :}

12. K Baron

I can only wish as zone 9 is just a league away...about 1600km to the south!

13. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Spelling mistake in (black) instead of Blake, we all make typos sometimes Blake. I meant also that the strawberry is there (growing) sure enough.

14. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

I type fast and I make mistakes all the time so dont feel bad. ;)

15. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

SPROUT

My tomatoes just came up "roma "first three pictures", and the cucumbers just came up "last three pictures". They all came up overnite!! ;) :)

Attached Files:

16. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Those (can't remember name) peat tube? are really good, just be a little wary of "damping off" because they hold such good moisture, you'll now if anything is wrong when they just fall over at ground level. I like that they can be planted straight out without disturbing the delicate roots on the seedlings. The way they're going give it a couple of days and your trays will be full :}

17. K Baron

Yes, the peat pellets can become moldy, so be sure to watch for it.

18. Vera eastern wa

Vera eastern wa Active Member

Just a few from my small spaces :)

Attached Files:

19. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

nice healthy looking plants, thanks for sharing! ;)

20. drmargy

drmargy Member

I have a fairly unique small garden. I have a float cabin on Powell Lake BC, and my garden also floats. I has four 4X10 raised beds (not submerged) and a solar powered pump for watering (lazy me). It's large enough for veggies such as lettuce, carrots, onions, beets, strawberries, asparagus and herbs. I used to have potatoes, but have moved those to a nearby barrel. Takes much less garden space that way. I keep it floating out in the lake to keep hungry critters away and pull it in to garden or pick. I'm all planted and ready to go for the year. You can read more by clicking here.

Attached Files:

21. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

WOW..... nice thinking, a green thumb up to you

and also that is a beautiful lake you live on the side of :)))))

22. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

Heres my pond that I just grounded, rite now I have ben trying to put a yellow lotus in the pond and I thought why not start them in my big fishtank it has an arrator, filter,algee eating snails etc. that it could benefit from. So thats where they are now atleast til they get big enough to tough the outdoors :)

Attached Files:

23. drmargy

drmargy Member

Hi Blake - Nice pond. When I was a principal we put in a pond and natural garden for the students. We were located near Los Angeles and many of the kids had never seen fish and plants in a natural environments. It was fun to create and fun for them. Thanks for sharing your work. - Margy

24. K Baron

Hi Margy,

You can't possibly be lazy if you can maintain your wonderful and unique style of veggie gardening! Solar powered or not... most fascinating to see! This year may it bring you a bountiful harvest! That is one deer proof garden scheme!

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  25. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

I must say, that pond is lovely!

: )

Here is my small space gardening, indoors...

Attached Files: