Metasequoia "Gold Rush" reversion?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by kbmeister, May 17, 2006.

1. kbmeister

kbmeister Member

Hi, I'm brand new to the forums here, but I've got a question for you all.

I've recently started trying to grow several conifer species (mostly the deciduous ones currently) from seed. Included in this list are two Dawn Redwood varieties: the species variant and "Gold Rush". However, all of my gold rush seedlings appear to have normal green foliage. It occurred to me that perhaps like Japanese maple cultivars, that the dawn redwood cultivars revert to wild type when seeded. Or it could just be that this coloring does not manifest until the plant is older? However, there appears to be extremely limited literature on the subject on the net.

Does anyone here happen to know for sure on this? I was considering picking up 'Sheridan Spire' and 'Jack Frost' seeds as well, but if this is a common issue with metasequoias, I think I'll rethink this plan.

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. Might this be a problem with other conifers as well? (like Hinoki cypress?)

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes: It sounds like it is not coming true from seed. This is not unexpected. I wouldn't call this a reversion, however, to me that term is more appropriate for individual specimens of variegated or dwarf plants that begin producing green or fast-growing shoots. Others may have a different take.

3. kbmeister

kbmeister Member

I guess I should be a bit more careful with my terminology. :-)

Yes, I meant that the trait did not seem to be breeding true, which I guess shouldn't surprise me as apparently available "Gold Rush" specimens are entirely clonal (from what I can tell).

Has anyone studied or know about the genetics behind this variety? Perhaps tried to create a true breeding strain?

I guess it couldn't hurt to pick up the varietal seeds since they're not any more expensive than the species seeds and I might get something interesting from them.

4. MarkVIIIMarc

MarkVIIIMarc Active Member

I believe metasequoia can be propagated "cloned" by rooting some cuttings if you're looking to avoid grafting.

That way you get another tree and it SHOULD grow identical to the one you cut it from.

Not as easy as taking a cutting off a willow and sticking it in the ground. I read how to do it someplace on the web though and it didn't sound impossible......

5. danc

danc Active Member 10 Years

Successful airlayer. Roots seem quite thick and strong.

P6100629.jpg