fruit flies vs. fungus gnats????

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by plantmas, Feb 25, 2008.

1. plantmas

plantmas Member

My office mate claims her plants have fruit flies. Neither of us have had fruit of any kind in our office for months, still the fruit flies persist. She has sprayed her plants with an organic cleaner of some type, with no change. I think the plants have fungus gnats. Any suggestions?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd agree probably fungus gnats

3. marjaleena

marjaleena Member

Yes, fungus gnats. I use Sticky Stiks by Safers to catch the gnats. Or make your own with yellow card and some kind of sticky oil (any suggestions anyone?). I'd like to know of a non-toxic product that can be put in the soil to kill the eggs.

4. plantmas

plantmas Member

Would fruit flies develop in November and live in the plants now (February), without any other fruit to eat?

5. freakle46

freakle46 Member

Are fungus gnats bad for plants. I know that i am an animal owner as well as plants and i have what i think are fungus gnats and lots of them. Are they harmful in anyway? They arent living in my plants but they live in th dirt in my animal cages. I am a newbie to this forum so sorry if thats a wierd question. I was just surfing through and found this and realized that it sounds like the problem im havng.