Winter care for parrot plant

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Daniel Mosquin, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

I have a young parrot plant, but I can't find any info on winter care for it. It is approx 6" tall in a 4" pot, and is losing its leaves slowly, it is on my kitchen window sill and has sun most of the morning. I would be grateful for any help.

Thank you.

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

It is difficult to know exactly what you are referring to as Parrot Plant. There are several conflicting common names such as Parrot's Beak; Parrot Flower; Parrot Feather and Parrot's Bill. There is a tropical plant with the botanical name of Impatiens niamniamensis which is often referred to as Parrot Plant. It is hardy to zone 10-11 which means that it will have to be overwintered indoors in the Pacific Northwest as our temperatures often dip below 1-4degrees centigrade. This plant requires light shade or sun with consistently moist soil. Avoid cold drafts.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's probable that the emailer wanted to know about this parrot plant, since they may have found the forums using a search engine looking for "parrot plant". But I agree, there are so many plants named "parrot plant" that without a scientific name, it is difficult to make a specific suggestion.