Variegated Sweet Pea

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Marn, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

I have Sweet Peas that grow in my front yard in wooden planter boxes with old tree stumps in them and also in my back yard along the creek that runs thru my backyard .. well today i was out in my front yard and noticed a cream and green sweet pea plant amongst my other ones .. at first i thought it was dying and then i got closer and noticed it was variegated ..i searched google to see if there was any and couldnt find any .. had anyone ever seen or heard of sweet peas being variegated ???.. please let me know .. here are the pics of it .. it is only one plant ...

Marn

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Never seen that before! It is actually a very nice pattern too. Is it limited to just part of the plant or is it the whole thing?

3. Marn

well it is just that stem from the ground up .. i have a whole bunch of them growing in this one area but that is the only stem out of all of them that is variegated ..some of the sweet peas are even growing out of the tree stump in this box .. i dont remember seeing it last year at all .. we just moved in here will b 2 yrs this sept ...
    hopefull i can find out some more info on this ..

Marn

4. Marn

well so far no one has heard of one or seen one b 4 .. im waiting on workd from the University of Oregon .. hopefully in the morning .. but i need help here on what to do next .. just let the plant grow and get seeds ..??. im gonna document it all the time with pics .. i cant wait to see what the flowers look like .. i hope they r diff then the rest of them that are pink .. a reall pretty pink ...ive attached another pic of it from a distance and the yellow in the pic is the variegated plant .. the rest are just the reg green stems ..and the other pic is of the tendrils that is used to climb and they r yellow and not green like the other plants .. it is such a pretty plant and i love variegated plants ..
    pleas if anyone else has any info on what to do next it would really be appreciated .. thanks so much

Marn

Attached Files:

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hey Marn, I don't know that much about variegation, but from what I have read, variegation rarely appears in plants grown from the seeds of variegated parents. They are generally propagated asexually. The effect is often unstable and the plants revert.

I guess you might try cuttings. If this is a totally new thing I am sure the folks at the U. will help with propagation.

6. Marn

Ya i have read that b 4 about them reverting back .. I am hopeing that the seeds do take on this .. and im gonna try and contact a few ppl about propagating this .. not sure if it can b done as it is a sweet pea .. i know these plants keep comeing back in the same spot and some even grow out of the tree stump.. even if nothing comes of this im still gona dig that spot up and take it with me when i move ..lol. I love variegated plants .. and for this to happen to sweet peas is so kool for me ..
    thanks Eric for your help ..

Marn

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks like Lathyrus latifolius, perennial sweet pea, in which case you might be able to propagate the variegated plant by division, I suppose. Popular, fragrant L. odoratus is an annual, which I'd think would be unlikely to take from cuttings.

8. Marn

it is a perrenial one ..not the annual one .. these ones keep comeing back they just threw a var sport ..on this one were would i propagate it from .. i dont want to kill the plant .. any help on this would b great .. give me a houseplant to propagate and i can do it ..lol.. im new to the outdoor stuff ..lol..
    if it is by division then that is a lil hard as it is only one plant out there not a few .. cause division is just dividing many plants right ??...
    i just hope this stays true to form .. and not revert back .. it would look so kool ..

Marn