Identification: King Bolete?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Salt Chuck, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Salt Chuck

Salt Chuck Member

I only found a few of these little guys that I think are boletus edulis but would like a second opinion before attempting to eat! They are 3 inches long, 1/2 in wide stipe and a 1 inch circumference.

Much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I am no mushroom expert, but boletes do not have gills, so I would say definitely not bolete. Boletes are sponge like under the cap with tubes that deliver the spores instead of gills.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boletus_edulis

3. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Although I'd want to see a spore print to confirm my suspicion, I believe they are in the genus Armillaria. The fact that you think they are Boletus edulis tells me you should not eat any mushroom that you don't buy from a store, unless you get a true expert to identify the very specimens you choose to eat in person. Sorry for the harsh words, but the reality is that i don't want a phone call forwarded to me from your local poison control center.

4. Salt Chuck

Salt Chuck Member

True enough! I'm not about to eat these lol, but when I picked them they appeared to have a spongy undersurface that came off with handling to reveal gills. I posted some photos earlier of a larger mushroom that I believe is a King Bolete with a true spongy undersurface but haven't had any replies yet. That is the one I really want to try! Of course if I hear nothing here I seek out a local expert before it goes in the gullet!

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.