Identification: Small Cream/Grey Fungi

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by seanmiller09, Oct 2, 2010.

1. seanmiller09

seanmiller09 Member

This morning I walked into my front yard to find it covered in thousands of mushrooms. I have a very curious dog that likes to frequently graze. I do not trust her safty to my ability (more importantly lack there of) to identify the fungi in my yard.

It appears as if there are two different types of fungus growing, small cream colored fungi and slightly larger grey/brown fungi in a more shaded region of the yard.

I have added some photos as they can show the physical charectoristics better than I am able to describe them with my limited knowlege of the subject (sorry for the links, I am having dificulty getting the image to display rather than the image URL). Here are some of my observations.

Temp range: 50-70 F (much cooler than past weeks)

Weather Conditions: low to mild humidity, ocasional light rain showers

Recent impact on yard ecosystem: Cut grass three days ago

Caps: Both are very thin and rip easily, smooth and soft, but not slimey or slippery, no noticable liquid present when cap is torn, no noticable odor

Yard conditions (cream fungus): High levels of sunlight, light grass and weeds, found near areas dominated by moss, soil usually dry

Yard conditions (grey/brown fungus): Very low levels of direct sunlight, very thick grass and weeds, soil stays damper in this area

Growth density: very dense to medium density of fungi, no single standing fungus observed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know a 100% positive identification is unlikely with this brief discription of the fungi, but any help or general clasification would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Sean

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member