broccoli

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Ricker315, May 11, 2006.

1. Ricker315

Ricker315 Member

Hi
    i have tried to start broccoli in my hy home this year and all it does is get tall thin and i bought all the right potting mix and little green houses why are the so tall and thin

2. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Not enough light.

3. oscar

oscar Active Member

They also need some air flow around them, don't leave the plants in the green houses too long, no air movement they will just grow tall and weak.

4. Alaskan Gardener

Alaskan Gardener Member

I have been starting broccoli seeds in styrofoam cups for 20+ years. (I reuse the same cups each year). What I have found best is to plant 2-3 seeds per cup. Water lightly and cover with black plastic until the seeds germinate, then pinch off the extras, so just one plant per cup remains. Once they have germinated, I bring them outdoors so they have natural light during the day and harden off right from the start. I bring them indoors at night, but keep them cool. This way the plants grow slowly, but have stocky stems and are extremely healthy by the time they go into the ground. I live in rural Alaska, where I don't put the plants in the ground until the first of June, so I plant my seeds around April 20th. If you plant them too early, they will grow tall and spindly. They need to be stocky and strong.