Identification: King apples blossom end problem

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by ssi gardener, Nov 23, 2014.

1. ssi gardener

ssi gardener Active Member

Hi Everybody, Has anyone encountered this problem before? Some of our King apples have a green, somewhat translucent area on their blossom ends. While we can just cut that off, the rest of the apple looks compromised around the seed core area. Can someone please help identify the problem? Thanks Lynetta

Attached Files:

2. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

As a kid I was told those translucent spots in the King apples were areas that had collected more than a normal amount of juice.???? Anyone????

3. Barbara Lloyd

Come on people! Someone out there has got to be familiar with the "Old" King David Apple. They've only been around forever. BTW They make a wonderful apple pie - don't cook down to mush.

4. ssi gardener

Hi Barbara, Thank you so much for your diagnosis. So far it seems only you and I have encountered this problem with a King. I thought maybe it had hit other varieties of tree too, although we have a couple of others and they seem to be immune. Let's sit and wait with hope--do you think?

5. Barbara Lloyd

Happy Holiday ssi, Your right, I only remember seeing it in the Kings, but I've only been associated with 2 orchards in my life. The first So. of Sea-Tac Airport, really old trees, maybe 1920's, had several kinds but I went for the Kings. They had the sap spots. Then early 70's my father put in an orchard on Lopez Island, about 20 different kinds of apple trees. I insisted on at least one king. Same thing with that one. I guess it has never caused a problem so I don't think we have to worry about it. ;) barb

6. ssi gardener

Hi again Barbara! I'll bet my crop of King apples that you have the solution right on! Your empirical evidence is more than good enough for me. Lots of rain can make anything wind up with more than it's share of juice. No more worrying about it. We'll just eat them and enjoy the lot. I promise not to cook them into mush. Hope you're having a great Thanksgiving and--on the appropriate Day--many thanks once more! Lynetta