Please help my Desert Rose...

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by Cetsworld, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Cetsworld

Cetsworld Member

I live in zone 9b and over the Labor day weekend purchased my first Desert Rose. When I brought it home it had only 2 flowers on it. As you can see by the picture below its blooming like crazy on three stems and a fourth stem has another cluster of blooms about to open up.

But.... It's dropping leaves like crazy ! They turn yellow and fall off. The leaves in the pot are just from one day ! Help !!!

I read on another forum that if it's over watered it will drop leaves. I have yet to water this plant since I brought it home. However it has rained a few times and was raining the day I bought the plant and I noticed the soil was soaking wet.

This week I have brought the plant in each afternoon so the afternoon showers do not soak it and allow it time to dry out.

I would think if there was something seriously wrong it wouldn't be blooming so heavily.

Was it over watered? Should I continue to let it dry out? Will it stop dropping leaves? I'm so worried and don't want to lose this plant.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you !!

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

it could be overwatered. it could also be in a bit of a pout - some plants will drop leaves when their growing circumstances change (jades will, i think the desert rose does as well).

moving out of the way of the rain is good. if you're moving it from outside (where it's warm) to inside (where it's cool with the a/c on), then that will cause some leaf drop too.

when moving plants from inside to out, or vise versa, it needs to be done gradually so that the plants can adjust to the different climate.

basically, what all this means is the plant is stressed and it's losing leaves because of it. try to keep it in one spot and let it dry out a bit. and try to leave it in that one spot for a couple/few weeks so that it can adjust and recuperate.

they're hardy, so it should be fine. lovely blooms on it!!

3. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

http://www.adeniumplumeria.com/index.php?lay=show&ac=article&Id=6439

Check this link out. It's a good overview of your Adenium multiflorum.

I agree with the change in environment being the likely cause of the leaf drop. Overwatering causing leaf drop,...less likely. I keep mine outdoors with a well-draining mix, but it gets rain, morning dew, and high humidity almost everyday. You are in zone 9, so I would not expect dormancy just yet, but soon...and you could get some leaf drop with that, as well. From your photo, the leaves are an even yellow coloration and have dropped which makes it less likely from pests and disease.

4. Cetsworld

Cetsworld Member

Thank you for the replies. I was moving her (yes my plant is a she in my mind.. lol!) from an open area on the lanai to a covered area. I will let her sit in one spot so she can adjust to her new home. I understand now that moving her daily is adding to the stress :-/

joclyn - The blooms are what made me fall in love with her. I've had this spot on my lanai picked out for some time now for a Desert Rose. I was waiting for the perfect one to come along :-)

markinwestmich - Thank you so much for the link. This is the first article I've read about the misconception for growing them in a moist environment.

5. dkg091065

dkg091065 Active Member

Get it in a well drained clay pot. Adenium multiflorum hate plastic, will hold too much water, thus dropping leaves then begining to rot.