lemon tree with no fruit

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by cathylemon, Nov 6, 2008.

1. cathylemon

cathylemon Member

Hi
    I have had a lemon tree for about a year when i recieved it it had four lemonss
    since then i have had many flowers but they have all droped after turning to lemons
    could this be from over watering i have brought it indoors for winter and i keep it in the kitchen by patio doors in good light but not direct sunlight.
    The tree looks very healthy with lots of leaves
    I would be greatful for any advice as I know nothing about lemon trees
    by the way i live in Manchester England

CATHY LEMON

2. StarLoc

StarLoc Active Member

Its normal for a lot of flowers to drop if they dont drop as flowers they will drop as small fruit, probably as both, but if theres no fruit left , it could be the method of watering or the fertiliser type, What fertiliser are you using?

3. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

Starloc makes a good point...are you even using fertilizer? Did you repot it when you got it? Some info on the type of potting mix would be a help :)

4. cathylemon

cathylemon Member

Hi Thanks for your comments
    When I first recieved it it had four lemons and it got lots of flowers I had it indoors but used the central heating and the leaves kept falling off at that time I could not find out much about lemon trees so I repotted it into about a 20 inch diameter pot from about a 10 inch the leaves stopped falling off and I put it outside in the spring still lots of flowers but no fruit I though it needed watering every day so that it could provide juice for the fruit and i found a fertilizer especialy for citrus trees.

Since I posted this I have stopped watering to let it dry out a bit my kitchen is cold at night and I try not to use the heating much as we have solid fuel now

I would be greatful if you could tell me what to do and what not to do

Regards

5. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

If you have fast draining media, you may not have hurt the tree, but if the media is more or less peat moss (like most commercial media), you may have damaged the roots--that would explain the flowers as citrus will flower in response to stress. Also increasing that possibility is the large jump in container size.

For winter care in cold environments, you have 2 options: cool with low light; or warm and sunny (artificial light).

Citrus do not need much water during winter, especially if kept cool in low light--they pretty much go dormant.

6. StarLoc

StarLoc Active Member

Sounds like overwatering (unless its in pure coconut husk or something similar tht need watering a lot) , once a day is going to be too much water, once a week watering would be more normal, even in the hot spring/early summer weather this year i didnt need more than that, closer to once every 2 weeks

Depending how big the tree is, the pot sounds too large, 20 inch is quite big to go from a 10 inch, it becomes very hard to water correctly in a pot that is to large. let it get far dryer between waterings as the center will be more wet than you think, and the pots become harder to keep warm in cold weather due to large surface area, once it fills with roots a bit watering becomes easier

7. Pasquale

Pasquale Active Member

Lemon tree with no fruit

For the last ten years we have a beautiful lemon tree which my wife started from cutting.
    We live in zone 7-8. From my experience it need to be a worm sunny period at the time of blooming for the lemon tree to set fruit, last year we had a lot blossom but not one lemon set because of poor weather condition, this year the weather was more favourable and there are about twenty lemons. The 2nd. Observation, although there are hundred of blossom each winter, my lemon tree will not set fruit indoor, I keep it at about 15dg in low light condition. Indoor it need very little water, one gallon every two weeks for a 20 diameter pot.
    According to Martha Stewart citrus trees need Epsom salt (magnesium sulphate) to hold the new bloom, 1 teaspoon per gallon of potting mix in early spring.
    Good luck