Replanting a Ponytail Palm

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by kstix, Jun 20, 2008.

1. kstix

kstix Member

I have a ponytail palm that I bought about 4 years ago. There are actually 3 bulbs that now look like they are ready to jump out of the small pot that they are in. Should I replant the trio together or should I split them up?

Also, when I go to replant them, what size pot should I use, especially the depth and how should I go about it?

Thanks to all for any help that you may be able to give.

Kim

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

what size container are the three in now? what is the diameter of the caudexes?

when you replant, keep them at the same depth that they are now - you can even raise the caudex up a 1/2 inch or so (depends on the size of it to begin with).

you can keep them in the same container if you like the look of them together. they'll need some space for roots, though, so you'll need to leave at least 3 inches between them and at least 1 inch and maybe 2 inches between the outer edges of the caudexes and the container. depending on their size now, that might end up being a pretty large container. still, it can be workable with those little stands that are on wheels that make it very easy to move plants in large containers.

if you decide to do them seperately, the containers should be large enough that there is at least an inch to two inches of space between the caudex and the edge of the container. again, that's based on the size of the caudex to begin with.

depth of the container(s) should be increased by at least and inch maybe two (and even more if they're really big to begin with.

can you post a pic?

3. kstix

kstix Member

The pot that they are in now is the one that they came in and is only about 8" across one way and maybe 5" the other. Also, it's only about 4" deep. The different sizes of the caldex range from 3-4 inches. Like I said, they are jumping out of the pot, so the pot must go unless I keep one of them in there. I'm just worried what I will get into once I pull them out of the pot. I would really hate to lose the plant.

I tried to post a picture, but it looked like a timely process and I didn't have the time right now.

Thank you for your time, help, and suggestions.

Kim

Attached Files:

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

oh! definitely overcrowded!! definitely need repotted. they were planted wrong to begin with - way too close. even though they grow slowly, and can take some restriction to the roots, that pot was way too small even 4 years ago!

it does make a nice presentation with the three together. personally, i think i'd want to keep at least two, if not all, potted together. you should separate them, though, so the root systems can grow properly.

the one in the front of the pic will probably be the easiest to disentangle the roots from the others, so i'd work on that one first when you unpot. and then the other two will be easier to separate.

gently separate the roots - it's going to be slow work - and you want to do as little damage as possible. gently pull the individual roots out from the entangled area - try not to break them. there will be some that do become damaged and there will be some you will end up having to cut. just do clean cuts to the roots to get rid of damaged spots and it'll be fine. you can wrap the root ball in lightly moistened newspaper and wrap a towel around it to protect the roots when you need a break from working at untangling the roots.

i think i'd pot that one in the front separately - it's smaller and needs it's own space to grow better. you can repot it in the current container (a little big for it's current size) or better, go down to a 6 inch pot (round or square) for it.

the other two, once the roots are separated, should go in 8 inch pots if you're going to do them separately or in a 10 or 12 inch pot if you want to keep them together and put them so there's at least 3 inches between them - there will be less space between the caudex and the outer edge of the pot and that would be okay - still plenty of room for the roots to grow.

the four inch depth is okay for one - not the three of them though. a 10 or 12 inch pot will usually have at least 6-8 inches (and sometimes more) in depth and that will be fine for the two if you keep them together.

new containers should have drainage holes and use a mix of regular soil and cactus mix (half/half).

they have really nice caudexes!! i'm hoping the two i have grow into such nice specimens...they're barely two inches in size now, so i have a long wait :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  5. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Good advice from joclyn there.
    They are really tough plants so they will transplant AOK!!

Ed